NSERC Synergy Awards for Innovation Launched in 1995, the Synergy Awards for Innovation recognize partnerships in natural sciences and engineering research and development between universities and Canadian industry. Designed to honour the achievements of these collaborations and showcase the benefits of pooling resources to make the most of Canadian research excellence and industrial expertise, the Awards are judged on:
• effective use of resources;
• tangible benefits.
The nominated partnership must be in the natural sciences and/or engineering and be between a Canadian university professor, or group of professors, and a Canadian-based company or companies with commercial activities in Canada, such as R&D and/or manufacturing. Nominations from York can be made in the following categories, with one award presented in each category:
• Small and Medium-Sized Companies — A partnership with a single company of up to 500 employees.
• Large Companies — A partnership with a single company of more than 500 employees.
• Two or More Companies — A partnership with two or more companies of any size or with a consortium of companies.
The winner (principal nominee) in each category will receive a $200,000 NSERC research grant, while the industrial partner(s) will each receive a $30,000 voucher valid towards the cash portion of their required contribution in a new Collaborative Research and Development Grant (CRD).
Nominations, which are due April 15, 2019, must be submitted by a senior executive from one of the participating organizations, such as the:
• President, Chief Executive Officer, Vice-President of Research, or equivalent of one of the industrial partner organizations; or
• President, Vice-President of Research, or equivalent from the university.
Note that there is no limit to the number of nominations for the Synergy Awards for Innovation that a university or college can put forward. Winners will be selected by a peer review selection committee on the basis of the outstanding excellence of the partnership and its suitability for each category. Additional details can be found at: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Prizes-Prix/Synergy- Synergie/Index-Index_eng.asp
• Deans’ offices are invited to submit nominations for consideration by MAAC. The internal submission deadline is March 18, 2019.
• MAAC will review nominations and provide feedback to nominees to enhance their submissions.
• The Strategic and Institution Research and Award (SIRI) Specialist will work with Faculty-based research support personnel and nominees to prepare final submissions to NSERC.
• NSERC will adjudicate the competition and notify York University of results.