Remediation FAQ

Posted on


As the university begins entering a period of remediation for classes suspended or modified during the labour disruption, we will be updating this page with frequently asked questions.  



When does remediation start? 

A schedule of formal class meets (including labs/tutorials) can be found here:

How will I know when my courses are taking place?

A schedule of formal class meets (including labs/tutorials) will be published soon. The University is working to coordinate all of these activities. As soon as the schedule is published we will notify Lassonde students.

I’m not going to be here for remediation what do I do?

The first thing you need to do is talk to your instructor. There may be ways for you to participate in remediation activities at a distance or outside of the formally scheduled remediation period.

If you are not able to coordinate something informally, you can defer course assessments (assignments, tests, exams, labs) to another time after the formal remediation period. There is an online form for W and Y term course deferrals, found here: . The last day to submit a request for deferral will be August 31.

I can’t get a hold of my professor? What do I do?

You can contact the department that offers the course for assistance.

My professor is going to give me an assessed grade but I’m not eligible…

Most Lassonde students remain ineligible for assessed grades. You will need to communicate this to your instructor. The instructor can alter the grading scheme, as outlined in Senate documents and re-weight assignments if they wish. That is different from an assessed grade.

It’s going to cost me money to come back for remediation that I didn’t budget for. Can I get extra financial assistance?


The bursary available to students experiencing extra financial hardship as a result of the strike is still available. You can apply for this bursary until September 17.

Students who are returning to complete their Fall/Winter 2017-18 course(s) between July 23 and August 31, 2018 may be eligible for additional funding under their 2017-18 OSAP full-time applications for a living allowance for the length of their return to studies.

I dropped my course earlier but I want to come back and finish. Can I do that?

Yes. You need to e-mail and ask to be re-enrolled in a W or Y term course so that you can finish it during remediation. There is no need to petition to re-enrol. Please include all details of the course in your email.

Please note that if you re-enrol in a course that you previously dropped, the tuition credit you have on your account from dropping the course will be removed

I don’t have final grades for pre-requisite courses – can I still enroll in that FW course without the pre-requisite?

Lassonde courses have changed to allow you to enroll in courses even if the pre-requisite is in progress.

Can I drop my W/Y 17-18 course after I get a grade after remediation?

Yes. You can drop W/Y 17-18 courses until Dec 31, 2018.

What courses can I drop and get tuition credit for?

Any Winter 18 or Year long 17-18 courses in which you were registered.

When can I use my tuition credit?

You must use your tuition credit for a Fall, Year or Winter term course in the 18-19 academic year.

I’ve applied for a program change but my courses aren’t complete or I don’t have a grade. Will it be processed? How will I know?

You will be notified when your program change request has been processed.

How do students on co-op/internship keep the tuition credit option?

You will need to identify to the Lassonde co-op & internship team that you have tuition credit and won’t be able to use it because your work period runs across the FW 18-19 terms. We will work with you on how that credit gets applied upon your return. Please speak with your workplace learning coordinator or email as soon as possible.

How do I complete my courses?

Your course(s) may be completed in the following ways:

  1. During the official Winter Remediation period: July 23 – August 20, with exams to be scheduled in the Summer exam period beginning August 22nd.
  2. Informal remediation – to be determined in consultation with your course instructor, anytime between today and August 31st.
  3. Alternate forms of access to course materials, made available online, through posting of materials, assignments and exams, etc.
  4. Deferred standing remains an option for students who are not able to return to complete their studies during the summer through one of the forms described above. 


Leave Your Comment