COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and Planning for Completion of the Academic Term
Communication from the Executive Committee of Senate
Originally sent on March 24, 2020
In its role of monitoring and managing the impact of the disruption on academic activities caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Senate Executive Committee has made further adjustments to the course completion provisions for FW 2019-2020 and Winter 2020 courses.
On 16 March 2020 the decision was taken to extend the deadline for students to choose the pass / fail grading option to 9 May 2020.
Senate Executive has now authorized that the Senate Pass/Fail Grades Policy be temporarily suspended, permitting undergraduate and graduate students to select the pass/fail grading option for any Fall/Winter 2019-2020 and /or Winter 2020 courses in which they are currently enrolled, noting that:
- The number of credits for which pass/fail is chosen for the FW’19-20 and W’20 terms will not be added to a student’s total number of pass / fail credits permitted under the Senate policy
- BEd, JD courses continue to be exceptions as stated in the Pass / Fail Grades Policy
- BBA / iBBA and BScN major courses are excluded from the pass / fail option, however students in those degree programs may choose the option for any other courses that count toward their degree (e.g., electives, general education).
- The pass / fail option is not open to students in the Nurse Practitioner (PHCNP) MScN program
- The deadline for students to choose the pass / fail option continues to be 9 May 2020 as approved by Senate Executive on 16 March 2020.
Students in professional programs that include specified practicum and / or accreditation requirements, and those with questions about pass / fail grades in applications to graduate programs or subsequent degree programs, are advised to seek guidance in their home Faculty / School / Department about any implications of selecting the pass / fail option for a course(s).
Similarly, graduate students are strongly encouraged to explore implications of opting for a pass / fail grade with supervisors and programs.
As a reminder, no reduction or extension of the length of the FW 2019-2020 academic term is being taken.
Chair of Senate
25 March 2020