- Earth & Space Science & Engineering
- Space-based remote sounding of the atmosphere
Professor Charles Thomas (Tom) McElroy holds degrees from the University of Toronto (B.Sc, M.Sc.) and York University (PhD). He has been a visiting Research Professor at Denver University and the Technical Assistant to the Manager of the Canadian Astronaut Program. After a 36-year career with Environment Canada, he took up the CSA/ABB/NSERC Industrial Research Chair at York University from 2011-2015.
McElroy has published 135 refereed journal papers and book chapters and has received numerous national and international awards. He is a co-inventor of the Brewer Ozone Spectrophotometer and the UV Index, now in use in more than 25 countries.
- McElroy, C.T., D.V. Barton, C.R. Nowlan, and J.R. Drummond, MAESTRO: The SCISAT UV-Visible-Near IR Instrument, in The Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment ACE at 10: A Solar Occultation Anthology, A. Deepak Publishing, Hampton, VA, 2013.
- McElroy, C.T., and P.F. Fogal, Ozone: From Discovery to Protection, Atmosphere-Ocean, 46, 1, 1-13, doi:10.3137/ao.460101, 2008.
- McElroy, C.T., and P.F.Fogal, Understanding Ozone Depletion: Measurements and Models, Atmosphere-Ocean, 46, 1, 15-37, doi:10.3137/ao.4601002, 2008.