FALL/WINTER 2018-2019 NEW ADMITS
Welcome New Lassondians!
We hope you are as excited as we are to kick-off your first year at the Lassonde School of Engineering!
Have you accepted your offer? Have you booked your new student enrolment appointment? If not, click here.
At Lassonde, we offer two types of appointments, in-person and online:
- In-person. Here at Lassonde, our in-person sessions are referred to as “Bootcamp”. If you live locally, we recommend that you attend Bootcamp! In your MyFile account, all 9:00am to 3:30pm appointments are in-person Bootcamp sessions!
- Online. If you don’t live locally (or if you live locally, but can’t attend our in-person Bootcamp) you’ll have the option of registering for one of our limited online advising appointments. This is not a live session, so you won’t need to be anywhere at a specific time. We’ll e-mail you everything you need to know. In your MyFile account, all 4:30pm appointments are online appointments.
Once you’ve booked your appointment, continue reading to learn more about what to expect and how to prepare!
Where to go and when:
If you have booked a 4:30pm online appointment:
- You will receive an e-mail by 4:30pm on the date of your appointment.
- This will not be a live session, so you are not required to be at a specific place at a specific time.
- Simply check your e-mail!
If you have booked a 9:00am to 3:30pm in-person Bootcamp appointment, here is what you can expect:
- Bootcamp is an all-day group experience and is designed to prepare you for your first year.
- Bootcamp gives you a hands-on sneak peek into life at Lassonde. By the end of the day you'll have met an academic advisor and enrolled in courses, participated in a simulated first year lab, connected with both new and current Lassonde students, and explored the new Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence. All in all, a day you don't want to miss!
- We'll start things off in the Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence (#81 on the Keele Campus Map). From there, you'll be guided to the other sessions by our team of Lassonde students and staff.
Here is what you'll be doing the day of your Bootcamp:
9:00am - 9:30am
9:30am - 10:00am
Welcome/Opening Remarks - You'll learn exactly where to go and what to do throughout the day!
10:00am - 12:00pm
Group A: Course Enrollment
Group B: First Year Lab Experience
12:00 - 1:00pm
Lunch - We'll provide lunch, but if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, consider bringing your own lunch.
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Group B: Course Enrollment
Group A: First Year Lab Experience
3:00pm - 3:30pm
Here is what you’ll need to do to prepare for your appointment date:
Now that you have accepted your offer and booked your new student enrolment appointment, you can proceed to prepare for your appointment.
Step 1. Set Up Your Passport York Account – You must do this in order to access the course registration and enrolment module.
Step 2. Take the Math Quiz – Don’t panic! This is simply a tool our advising team will use to help you pick your courses. You must complete this at least 3 days before your appointment date.
Step 3. If you've registered for Bootcamp, bring photo ID – You’ll need this to register and enrol. You’ll also need this if you want to get your YU Card. You can also upload your photo and pick-up your YU Card throughout the Summer.
Important Reminder for Engineering (BEng) Students:
All Engineering (BEng) students share a common first year and declare a major at the end of their first year. To secure a spot in your preferred Engineering major, make sure you’re meeting the Engineering Program Guarantee deadlines. Click here for the Engineering Program Guarantee deadlines.
Something to Consider
If you have a learning disability, mental health disability, or physical, sensory or medical disability, we encourage you to register as soon as possible with York University’s Student Accessibility Services (SAS).
It can take time to arrange for academic accommodations. Registering early can help to ensure accommodations are in place as soon as possible.
After your Enrolment Appointment
- Don't forget to pay your $300 registration deposit and Fall/Winter tuition by the deadlines.
- Living on campus? Review York’s Housing web site for residence information.
- Explore the variety of academic and social supports available to Lassondians (e.g., Excel Lassonde, Lassonde Peer Helpers, Bethune College, etc.).
- Start exploring the York University Bookstore! Purchase your books at the York Bookstore online or in-person.
- Already attended Bootcamp, but need a refresher? We've recorded some of our advising presentations for you. If you need a refresher, review the following:
If you need to reschedule your appointment or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Call us at 416-650-8215, e-mail us at email@example.com, or join us for one of our weekly online chats!