Professor, EECS Department
Member, Centre for Vision Research
Affiliate Scientist UHN Toronto Rehabilitation Institute
Website | Email
2021 – 2022 Research Highlights
Virtual Humans for Urban Simulation and Computer Games
We aim to develop high fidelity simulation of virtual human behaviors in the context of urban simulation and computer games. Our work covers most aspects of virtual humans, ranging from low level motor control, to coordinated group behaviours, and cognition. This year we have extended our work to models of physics-based distracted pedestrians, such as those using cell phones while walking. We have proposed a 3D, probabilistic visual attention mode for such pedestrians, which will be combine with saliency maps. The simulated pedestrians can trip, fall, and generally interact with the environment in realistic and diverse ways.
- Muhammad Usman, Brandon Haworth, Mubbasir Kapadia, Petros Faloutsos, “Simulation as a Ser- vice: Analyzing Crowd Movements in Virtual Environments”, Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 2021, DOI: 10.1002/cav.1990.
- Melissa Kremer, Brandon Haworth, Mubbasir Kapadia, Petros Faloutsos. “Modelling distracted agents in crowd simulations”. The Visual Computer Journal (37). DOI: 10.1007/s00371-020-01969- 4, pp. 107-118, 2021.
- “Democratizing the Simulation of Human-Building Interactions”, Muhammad Usman, Brandon Ha- worth, Petros Faloutsos and Mubbasir Kapadia. In Proceedings of CASA 2020.
- “Watch Out! Modelling Pedestrians with Egocentric Distractions”, Melissa Kremer, Brandon Haworth, Mubbasir Kapadia, Petros Faloutsos. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Motion Interaction and Games, 2020.
- “A Social Distancing Index: Evaluating Navigational Policies on Human Proximity using Crowd Simulations”, Muhammad Usman, Tien-Chi Lee, Ryhan Moghe, Xun Zhang, Petros Faloutsos, Mubbasir Kapadia. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Motion Interaction and Games, 2020, short paper.
- “Don’t Push Me Aside: Deep Integration of Physical Humanoid Control and Crowd Navigation”, Brandon Haworth, Glen Berseth, Seonghyeon Moon, Mubbasir Kapadia, Petros Faloutsos, In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Motion Interaction and Games, 2020.