Lassonde Co-op/Internship

Close mobile menu

Student Frequently Asked Questions

Get your questions answered! We’re here to help you answer your questions about co-ops and internships.

For other questions:

For questions regarding international student support, money matters, and other topics please visit the linked pages

Connect with us:

Marily Molina
Manager, Co-op Program & Partnerships

Prospective Students

When can I submit an application?
The application process is open 3 times a year. Visit our eligibility section to view the specific registration timelines for Fall, Winter and Summer.

I have attended all the mandatory sessions, and meet the academic eligibility. How do I apply?
Steps to submit your application (when the registration is open) 
Step 1: Log in to the Co-op Portal
Step 2: On the menu, located on the left hand side of the page, select “Co-op & Internship”
Step 3: Select the Co-op Program to which you are applying to (e.g. Fall 2023-Mechanical Engineering)
Step 4: Answer the questions on the Application form.
Step 5: Scroll down and click “Submit Application”
After submitting your application, you will be redirected to your dashboard with a message indicating your application has been submitted.
Download the How to Submit Application to Lassonde Coop for step-by-step instructions with screen grab images.

I made a mistake with my application. How can I edit this?
Attend a Group Drop-in session or contact us at with the subject line: Co-op Registration – Application Correction. Please note it may take us up to 72 hours to respond to your email.
⠀What is the difference between co-op and internship?⠀
⠀Co-op⠀ is available after your second year and consists of 2 work-terms separated by at least one study term.
Co-op is available for students in the following programs: ● Civil Engineering ● Computer Engineering ● Electrical Engineering ● Geomatics Engineering ● Mechanical Engineering ● Software Engineering ● Space Engineering ● Earth & Atmospheric Science ● Computer Science ● Computer Security
⠀Internships⠀ are available after your third year and consist of one work period.
Internships are available for students in the following programs: ● Digital Media
* Students who successfully complete the Co-op program, including a passing grade of all mandatory courses will receive a co-op designation, which will be noted on your official transcript. Visit here for eligibility requirements.

⠀Is there a minimum or a maximum number of work terms I can do?⠀
Co-op students are required to complete 2 blocks of work (separated by at least one full-time academic semester) for a minimum combined total of 12 months to earn the co-op designation. The maximum total number of months over both periods is 20 months.
The first block is called the first co-op work period, typically takes place the summer after completing your second year of studies. The second block, is called the second co-op work period, and  takes place after you return for at least one academic semester, typically after 3rd-year of your studies.

⠀Will participating in the Co-op/Internship delay my graduation?⠀
Participating in the co-op/internship program will extend your graduation. Applied experience outside the classroom is heavily emphasized for engineering and computer science students. Many employers will require new graduates have previous co-op or internship experience as one of their entry-level requirements. Upon graduation, you can expect to compete for recent grad opportunities with graduates who have completed an average of 12 months co-op/internship.
Engineering students wishing to apply for professional engineering license are eligible to receive credit of up to 12 months for engineering experience acquired before graduation toward the required 48 months of work experience for licensing. See for more details.

⠀If I find my own position, do I still have to pay the Lassonde Co-op/Internship fees?⠀
To graduate from York University with a Co-op Designation, you must be enrolled in our co-op program. Co-op fees are like membership dues and give you access to numerous services. These fees are mandatory regardless of how you go about finding a position. See here for more details on finding and securing positions.

⠀What is a Workplace Learning Coordinator?⠀
The Lassonde Co-op/Internships team has 3 coordinators who play a big role in ensuring your Co-op experience runs as smoothly as possible. They act as a liaison between you and your employer, meet with you one-on-one to guide you through the entire process, conduct regular site visits, and develop new co-op opportunities for you to take advantage of.

⠀I belong to a different faculty, but minoring in Computer Science/Security/Digital Media or taking courses similar to Lassonde students. Can I apply to the Lassonde Co-op or Digital Media Internship Program?⠀
● For the Co-op Program , only students whose home faculty is Lassonde are eligible to apply. Digital Media students in AMPD are eligible to apply for the Internship Program.
● York University offers various experiential education opportunities in the classroom, community or at work. Your faculty may have their own Co-op, Internship Program. We encourage you to meet with an Experiential Education (EE) Coordinator from your faculty to discuss your options. Below is a list of York’s Faculties and relevant links to Experiential Education Programs.
Faculty of Science – Co-op & Internship Program:
Faculty of LA&PS – Internship Program:
Schulich School of Business:
Osgoode Law School: Experiential Education – Osgoode Hall Law School (
School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design:
**Exception: Digital Media students in AMPD are eligible to apply for the Digital Media Internship Program
Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change:
Glendon: Experiential Education | Glendon (
Faculty of Graduate Studies:
Faculty of Health: Experiential Education Resources – Faculty of Health (

Do the CO-OP credit course (i.e. COOP 2100 2.00 and COOP 3100 2.00) count as electives or credit count to graduate?
The 2.0 COOP courses are considered academic credits and will contribute to any BA/BSc students overall 90/120 credit count required to graduate. However, these courses do not contribute to any other academic requirement (e.g. non-science, general education).
Why did the Computer Science/Computer Security internship program close?
The Internship option offered in previous years to students in 3rd year of studies closed permanently as of Fall 2021.  Internship required a higher GPA and completion of 3000 level courses.  The Co-op option however, makes it easier for all Lassonde students to access this great program as it offers a lower entry GPA and completion of 2000 level courses and longer work terms.

I was accepted into the program. When will I have to pay the $200 registration fee?
The $200.00 registration fee will be posted to your student account in the month you are accepted to the program, after you accept your offer of admission. For example, if you applied for Summer, you will see the charge at the end of May. If you applied for Fall, you will see the charge at the end of September.

How do I apply for the Co-op/Internship Program?
● The application window for each term is updated on our Eligibility and Registration page.
● If you meet the academic requirements, and have completed the 3 required sessions,
⠀⠀⠀1. Log-into your account on the Co-op Portal during the application window
⠀⠀⠀2. Click on “Co-op & Internship” on the navigation pane
⠀⠀⠀3. Select the degree program for which you are applying (e.g. Computer Engineering Fall 2023). (Note that if you are using the new Co-op Dashboard (beta), you must select ” Apply to a Program” on the top right hand corner of your page first to view the degree programs.
⠀⠀⠀4. This option will be available only during the application period (e.g. for Fall 2023, it will be from March 16 – 20, 2023).
⠀⠀⠀6. You can download the application guide if you need a visual reference.
*Please note that applications by students who did not complete all 3 mandatory sessions will not be assessed.*

I am an international student; do I really need a Co-op Work Permit Letter/ I heard I need a Co-op Work Permit Letter. How do I get one?
● International students MUST have a valid co-op work permit before starting their co-op/internship. 
● Once accepted into the program, international students will be provided a supporting letter to use to apply for the Co-op Work Permit. If you have accepted the terms and conditions for entry into the program, and you have not received a letter, please send an email to ASAP. Be sure to check your junk/spam folder prior to contacting us.

I have transfer credits and don’t know if I meet the credit limit, what can I do?
Please complete the Transfer Credit Assessment for Co-op Eligibility form between the specific time period it is open. See eligibility and registration page and click on the term you want to apply for (e.g. Summer 2023, Fall 2023, Winter 2024) to find out when you can submit this form.  An Academic Advisor will review your file and update your record accordingly. This will help the team determine your eligibility.

I don’t meet all the academic eligibility requirements; can I still submit an application?
No, incomplete applications will not be processed and you will receive an automated ‘application incomplete’ email from the Lassonde Co-op portal.

I don’t meet the requirements to apply for Fall 2023 Co-op, when is my next window to apply?
Co-op registration will open in March 2023 for positions starting in Fall 2023.  Check the Lassonde Co-op website to view the Winter 2024 registration timelines.

Can I apply even though I did not complete one or more of the required sessions?
Incomplete applications will not be processed and you will receive an automated ‘decline’ email from the Lassonde Co-op portal. If you missed a Resume or Interview Workshop and are planning to attend an alternative workshop by the Career Centre, you may submit an application. To ensure we process your application, email to provide proof you have attended the workshop or inform us of when you are expected to complete the workshop.

I missed an information session, what do I do?
Unfortunately, there is no substitute or alternative to the Information Session. We offer these sessions during a set period of time each term, and these dates are also posted on the eligibility site at least 4 months in advance.  If you miss the sessions, your option is to apply the next term and attend the sessions during that time.

I missed a Resume and/or Interview Fundamentals workshop, what do I do?
●These sessions are designed to provide you with strategies for success in securing a co-op. The workshops are specific to co-op resumes and interviews. If you are unable to attend, you can attend the Resume and/or Interview workshops offered by York University’s Career Centre.
Resume Workshops : visit their Events Calendar for more details.
Interview Workshop: visit their Events Calendar for more details.
**Once the deadline is closed, your next chance to apply to the program will be in August 2023 for positions that start in Winter 2024.**

I’m not available/I can’t attend any of the sessions that are currently scheduled. What can I do?
● There is no substitute or alternative to the Information Session. We offer these sessions during a set period of time each term, and the dates are updated on our eligibility site at least 4 months in advance.  If you miss the sessions, your option is to apply the next term and attend the sessions during that time. 
● If you are not able to attend the Resume Fundamentals or Interview Fundamentals workshop(s), we will consider the Resume & Cover Letter workshop and Interview Skills workshop offered by the Career Centre, York University as equivalent. To register and find out when these are offered, check out: Ensure that you register as you will be required to send proof of your attendance. To send proof, send an email to stating the name of the session and the date you attended, including a screen grab of your attendance on Experience York. Log in to your Experience York account, and you can review your registration status will show as “Attended” under “Events Registration” tab.

All my friends have either received a decline or accept email. I have not received anything and I meet all the requirements and attended the required sessions. What can I do?
● Students are required to submit an application by a specific deadline. You can review the deadlines on our eligibility and registration page. You do this by logging in to your account on the co-op portal, clicking on “Co-op & Internship” on the navigation pane. Select your degree program and then click“submit”. To check the status of your application, you can log in to the co-op portal and click on “Co-op & Internship” to see the status.
● If you did not submit an application/missed the deadline, your next eligible time to apply to the program is for the next term (e.g. if you were applying for Winter, you would now only be able to apply in Summer). Check our eligibility and registration page for the registration timelines for each term.

I am an international student, some of my friends received the Co-op Work Permit Support Letter already but I have not. How can I get mine?
● International students who met all the eligibility requirements and applied by the application deadline, as well as accepted their admission offer will receive a supporting letter before the job board officially opens in the term you applied for. For example, if you applied for Fall, you would receive this before May 8, 2023;
● You may want to check your spam/junk folder.
● If you have accepted your admission and have not yet received the supporting letter, contact us via email at or attend a group drop-in session.

Can I re-apply next term if I am not accepted for Fall 2023?
● Please review the eligibility requirements, and if you meet the requirements, we encourage you to reapply. Registration for Winter 2023 will open in August 2023, and job postings will be available throughout the Fall term, starting September. Visit our eligibility and registration page for specific dates.
My application was declined, can I find out why?
The main reasons why students’ applications are declined is due to academic requirements not being met (see further explanation below):

1. you may not have met the GPA required for your program. **
2. you may not be enrolled in or have completed the required courses prior to your first work term (e.g. Sept 2023). Refer to chart below for the required courses.
3. you do not meet the full-time, Honours degree, Lassonde student status requirement for your program.
⠀⠀⠀Full-time is based on York University’s definitions:
⠀⠀⠀● at least 60% course load (at least 9 credits in each term) for undergraduate students.
⠀⠀⠀● at least 40% course load (at least 6 credits in each term) for undergraduate students with a disability.
4. You must be enrolled in an Honours Degree, requiring at least 120 credits to graduate. Ordinary degree cannot be considered. With exception of Digital Media students, your home faculty must be Lassonde School of Engineering.
5. You may not have earned the minimum credit requirements OR you may have exceeded the maximum credit requirements to be admitted into the program. Refer to chart below for the minimum and maximum credits.
** If you applied for Fall 2023, this GPA is based on your most recent Lassonde GPA at the time of application, which is based on FW22/23 and SU22 grades (if applicable). If your CGPA changes based on Summer 2023 grades, you can attend a group drop-in to speak to a Co-op Coordinator about your options.

If I’m not part of the program, is there anywhere at York U I can contact for support in gaining work experience?
The Career Centre offers job search support for all students searching for summer, part-time, on-campus or full-time work. Be sure to take advantage of this invaluable resource.

Who can I speak to about making an exception for my particular situation?
● If you believe we have made an error in assessing your eligibility,
⠀⠀⠀● Visit our application checklist page at: and self-assess.
⠀⠀⠀● Fill out the form, take a screenshot or copy this into a Word file. Indicate where you think we made the error and send this file to with subject line “ First Name_Last Name_ Co-op or Internship Program you applied for” (e.g. Ango_Thomas_Computer Science Co-op). Please include your student ID in the body of your email. Alternatively, we invite you to attend our Drop-ins.
● For students with extenuating circumstances, you may be able to file a Co-op/Internship Requirements Waived or Altered Petition. For more details, review the Lassonde Petitions website. **
**A petition is a written request by a student which outlines exceptional circumstances they have faced which warrant consideration to be exempt from or have waived a Lassonde School of Engineering rule or regulation.  Submitting a petition is not always the best solution to an academic problem
Speak with a Lassonde Co-op/Internship Coordinator by joining our drop-in hours before submitting a petition of this sort, as some co-op/internship requirements are not petitionable.

Current Co-op/Internship Students

Am I still a full-time student during a work term?
While on a work term you maintain your active student status. If you require a verification letter of status, please contact the Lassonde Co-op/Internship team to request a letter.
Visit here for more details on OSAP and Co-op.
I was approved to participate in the Co-op/Internship program last year and paid my $200 registration fee. Do I still have to attend the 3 mandatory sessions and apply for the program again?
No. Students who maintain their academic eligibility will be granted access upon logging in to their account and accepting the terms and conditions for each eligible work term. Students who do not maintain their academic eligibility are exited out of the program. 

I was previously accepted and had access to the job board, but now I can’t. Am I still eligible?
Most students, when accepted into the program are granted at least 2 terms (academic semester) to search for a position. On the third term, their eligibility is expired and access to the job board is disabled. Check your co-op record sequence to see if it says “eligible work term” or “eligibility expired”.  If students meet academic eligibility, then their access will be updated for that term’s postings. Please self assess (Application Checklists) to make sure you meet the eligibility to continue in the program for the desired work term. Be sure to connect with the Co-op team well in advance if you are planning to ask for an additional work term search.

I have been exited from the program, who can I speak to about my particular circumstance?
For students with extenuating circumstances, you may be able to file a Co-op/Internship Requirements Waived or Altered Petition. For more details, review the Lassonde Petitions website. **
**A petition is a written request by a student which outlines exceptional circumstances they have faced which warrant consideration to be exempt from or have waived a Lassonde School of Engineering rule or regulation.  Submitting a petition is not always the best solution to an academic problem
Speak with a Lassonde Co-op/Internship Coordinator by joining our drop-in hours  before submitting a petition of this sort, as some co-op/internship requirements are not petitionable.
I was told I had to be enrolled in co-op courses. How do I enrol/which courses should I enrol in?
You will be automatically enrolled in the mandatory work term course(s) the first month you secure your work term. 

Will my courses automatically be dropped or do I have to drop them myself?
Each student is responsible for dropping their own courses before the drop deadline. Please make note of the refund schedule. 

I was able to get a last-minute job offer. How can I convert this into a co-op/internship?
All co-op/internship job offers need to be vetted and approved through the program.
Please send an email to along with: 
⠀⠀⠀● A copy of your signed formal job offer 
⠀⠀⠀● Contact information of the company who you will be working for such as supervisor, hiring manager or recruiter. 
I submitted my Supervisor evaluation and Work Term report. Can you verify that it was received?
You can confirm submission of your documents through your Lassonde Co-op/Internship profile:
⠀⠀⠀1. Login to your account
⠀⠀⠀2. Under the “Co-op” tab, find your current work term (e.g. “Winter 2019“)
⠀⠀⠀3. Click the company name and scroll down to the square section on the left that shows co-op requirements.
⠀⠀⠀4. Each label (e.g. “Work Term details“) is accompanied by a status statement such as pending, approved, no record
Following any of these links will show the corresponding document you have submitted.

Can I take courses during a work term?
The Lassonde Co-op program allows students to take a maximum of one course per term, up to 3 credits per semester by permission only i.e. 1 course, at 3 credits maximum for Fall or Winter or Summer.  The course should not interfere with regular business hours of Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm; whether you are working in a hybrid or remote capacity. The course must be fully online, during weekends or after your work hours. If you would like to request permission to take one course, please submit the following details to
⠀⠀⠀1. Your full name
⠀⠀⠀2. Student number
⠀⠀⠀3. Complete course name e.g. “LE/COOP 2100 2.00 Professional Development for Co-op Students”
⠀⠀⠀4. Catalogue Number e.g. “E05g01”
⠀⠀⠀5. Course type: on-line, weekends, evenings
⠀⠀⠀6. Class date and start time
Important: Project courses such as ENG 4000, CIVL 4000, EECS 4088 or equivalent are not permitted while on a work term.

I no longer want to continue in the Lassonde Co-op/Internship program. What do I do?
Co-op is an exciting experience, but our lives are ruled by so many other factors and unexpected things may come up. You have a few options to consider to move forward:
⠀⠀⠀● You can discuss solutions or alternatives with one of our Coordinators
⠀⠀⠀● You can contact us and let us know that you are no longer interested in participating in the Co-op/Internships program
⠀⠀⠀● You can consider other assistance that the university provides free of charge (including counselling services, career advising, academic assistance & tutoring, financial assistance, note-taking services, etc.)

For income tax purposes, what slip can I expect to receive from my co-op employer?
For students who completed paid co-op or internship positions in Canada, your co-op employer will issue T4 slips.
⠀⠀⠀● T4 slips, which show employment income and payroll deductions
⠀⠀⠀● T4A slips, which show scholarship, fellowship, and bursary income, or payments from a registered education savings plan
Visit CRA for the most up to date information regarding Students and Income tax:
Does the job have to be in my field of study?
Your job must meet ALL criteria for a co-op position as outlined by CEWIL. You should pursue any roles for which you can demonstrate your qualifications based on their requirements. However, you must be engaged in related, productive work in order to work in the role. As a Lassonde student, roles may include programming or development positions, designing or field work positions, research roles, to name a few examples (although there are many, many more opportunities in this field).
Software⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Data Entry
Risk⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Social Media
Technical⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Administrative jobs
Writer⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(are acceptable if meet all other criteria)
Intern – Linear⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sales/Retail/
Infrastructure ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Customer Service
Grid Systems &⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Market
Telecom⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Call Centres

What if I can’t find a job?
If you were expected to find a position for the upcoming work term and were unable to secure one, don’t worry. It happens to the best of us.
You aren’t guaranteed a job for your desired work term. Students may be eligible for a deferral if they are unsuccessful with securing a co-op position provided that you can demonstrate that you:
⠀⠀⠀● Have actively applied to 20% of job postings
⠀⠀⠀● Maintained communication with the co-op office
⠀⠀⠀● Actively pursued independent job searches
If approved, your work-term will be deferred to the next available work term.

Does this role qualify as a co-op/internship?
For a role to qualify as a co-op/internship it must be compliant with the conditions outlined by CEWIL. We’ve outlined the conditions in our Searching & Securing guide. For more questions email us or come by during drop-ins.

What is an unofficial transcript and how do I get one?
An unofficial transcript is simply a list of all your completed courses and grades from York University. To obtain an unofficial transcript:
⠀⠀⠀1. Go to Registrar’s Office
⠀⠀⠀2. Click on My Courses and Grades
⠀⠀⠀3. Log in using your Passport York username and password
⠀⠀⠀4. At the top right, select Printable Version
⠀⠀⠀5. Right click anywhere on the page and choose Print.
⠀⠀⠀6. Set your destination to Save as PDF.
⠀⠀⠀7. Save this document as “Unofficial Transcript_Your First and Last Name” (e.g. Unofficial Transcript_JohnSmith.pdf)

I see the following message on most of the jobs I am interested in applying for. Do I really need to apply to the portal AND the company website?
As the statement indicates, this is a mandatory requirement. By following instructions carefully, you demonstrate your ability to follow instructions properly as a co-op/internship student – a skill that is valued by all employers.
This is often required to verify a students’ enrolment in the co-op/internship program and the Co-op Team could at any time be required to provide this verification. Ensure you are not left out of the applicant list by following the instructions carefully.

The co-op portal asks me to submit a resume and cover letter but the company website just asks me to submit a resume and unofficial transcript. What should I do?
Follow the instructions as stated on each site and submit only the documents being asked for each platform. In this case, submit your resume and cover letter on the co-op portal and submit a resume and unofficial transcript on the company website.

Some applications ask for my Co-op Coordinator’s name and contact information. Who should I include?
We have 3 active Workplace Learning Coordinators/Co-op Coordinators. Select the Co-op Coordinator you have interacted with the most.
⠀⠀⠀● Delnaz  Khorshidchehr, Workplace Learning Coordinator,
⠀⠀⠀● Jolie Chan, Workplace Learning Coordinator,
Ginger Zhao, Workplace Learning Coordinator,
For all Co-op Coordinators, please provide the following email address: Please note that you are only to use these names and information if you are an ACTIVE and fully registered Co-op/Internship student.

Should I wait until the end of the deadline to apply for a job or should I apply before?
Every employer is different. Some employers can opt to review the applications as they come, and others like to wait until a specific deadline has passed to review all applications at the same time. We recommend that you prioritize the roles you are most interested in and apply for co-op/internship positions well before the expiry date listed on the job posting. Don’t leave it until the last minute, as positions can be filled by the employer before the posting is set to expire. Remember, these co-op opportunities may also be posted at other institutions so you are not only competing with other Lassonde students but also with students from other Canadian universities.

I was approved to participate in the Co-op/Internship program in the past, but now I can’t access the job board?
Most students, when accepted into the program are granted at least 2 terms (academic semester) to search for a position. On the third term, their eligibility is expired and access to the job board is disabled. Check your co-op record sequence to see if it says “eligible work term” or “eligibility expired”.
If students meet academic eligibility, then their access will be updated for that term’s postings. Please self assess (Application Checklists) to make sure you meet the eligibility to continue in the program for the desired work term.

International Students

As an International student, can I still do co-op?
Absolutely! International students are welcome to participate in the Lassonde Co-op/Internship Program. Upon acceptance into the program you must obtain a Co-op Work Permit. It takes approximately 3 – 4 months to receive a decision from the IRCC. You cannot access the job board without proof of applying for a Co-op Work Permit from the CIC. We’ve outlined your process and resources (Eligibility & Requirements) but if you have more questions feel free to contact us.

When should I apply for the Co-op Work Permit?
As soon as you have successfully completed all requirements, registered and been accepted into the Lassonde Co-op/Internships program, you should apply for the Co-op Work Permit. You should also obtain a work-permit letter from the Co-op team to submit along with your application. If you need further information and assistance regarding work permits, please contact the Immigration Specialist at York International.

What is the processing time for my Co-op Work Permit?
Government of Canada processing times change daily. You can check their processing times here. Your processing times are obtained by selecting “Temporary Residence” and “work permit extension(new employer)” on the page.

I am applying for the Internship program, do I still need a Co-op Work Permit?
Yes, the same rules and requirements apply. If you need further information and assistance regarding work permits, please contact the Immigration Specialist at York International.

I have an Off-Campus Work Permit, can I use it to apply for co-op or internship positions?
No, students are required to obtain a Co-op Work Permit in order to participate in the Lassonde Co-op/Internships program. If you need further information and assistance regarding work permits, please contact the Immigration Specialist at York International.

I need help with applying for my Co-op Work Permit. Can you help?
For specific instructions including a video on how to apply for the Co-op Work Permit, please visit:   
⠀⠀⠀●  York International’s website  
⠀⠀⠀● Government of Canada’s Student Guide (online) for Applying for a Work Permit
Please note that the Workplace Learning Coordinators (Co-op Coordinators) are not “authorized representatives” in accordance with the section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, (June 2011) and are therefore unable to advise students on immigration options, help them complete or submit immigration forms, or communicate with CIC on their behalf.  For any immigration matters, please connect with an Immigration Specialist at York International. Visit their website at:

Where can I seek help with my study permit and co-op work permit applications?

Meet with a licensed Immigration Specialist and International Student Advisor.

York International’s Immigration Application Resources Page
1) Study Permit Extension Resources
2) Co-op Work Permit Webinar and Resources
3) Immigration Tutorial Videos

How do I submit proof of my application for Co-op Work Permit and what proof is required?
Submit a screengrab of your application submission date and status (both of which are displayed in your IRCC GC Key account).
To submit proof, follow these instructions: 
⠀⠀⠀1. Log in to your account on the Co-op Portal 
⠀⠀⠀2. Click on Dashboard on the navigation pane located on the left of your screen (this is displayed on the first page on your dashboard) 
⠀⠀⠀3. Click on the gray circular icon with 3 dots, located on the bottom right corner of the page 
⠀⠀⠀4. On the pop-up menu, select “Submit a Form” 
⠀⠀⠀5. On the drop-down menu for category, select “International students -submit proof of Co-op Work Permit Application” 
⠀⠀⠀6. Complete the form and upload your submission confirmation. 
⠀⠀⠀7. Click submit 

Students with Disabilities

The Co-op/Internship team is committed to supporting the employment needs of students with disabilities. If you would like to discuss strategies for success in your co-op experience, contact your Co-op/Internship Coordinator. We would be happy to assist you in discussing your questions or any accommodations you may need.
If you have a learning disability, mental health disability, or physical, sensory or medical disability, we encourage you to register as soon as possible with York University’s Student Accessibility Services (SAS). SAS can help to identify reasonable adjustments in an academic setting and can provide guidance for accommodations in the workplace.

Important note for Co-op & Digital Media Internship students: Should you require accommodations in your co-op/internship workplace for disability-related needs or on other Ontario Human Rights Code grounds, you will need to connect in a timely way with your employer to determine and implement any necessary arrangements. We recommend that you review the Student Guide to Practicum Accommodations and reach out to Lassonde Co-op if you have any questions. You can also find additional information on the Student Accessibility Services website to support you with this conversation.  Lassonde Co-op can assist students with questions related to the Code around accommodations outside of disability related ones and Student Accessibility Services will be happy to provide you with guidance on how to go about accessing disability related accommodations if you would find this support helpful.
We strongly recommend students with disabilities register with Student Accessibility Services (SAS)  in order to access the variety of supports available to you. We want as many Lassonde students to be able to have the opportunity to join the co-op program.
Students who are registered with SAS will have their full-time course load calculated based on York University’s Undergraduates with a permanent disability, which is at least 40% (At least 6 credits in each term).

Get in Touch

1.  For general co-op/internship questions, contact one of our Workplace Learning Coordinators via our virtual GROUP drop-ins. The schedule, dates and times are posted on our Drop-ins page.
HOW TO JOIN THE MEETING: Join the meeting room during the time scheduled and indicated in the calendar. Please log-in using your Passport York ID. You will automatically be placed in a waiting room, and you will be admitted once the drop-in hours are open. You must log-in with your Passport York Account (PPY).
Meeting Room Details: 
Meeting ID: 914 2306 4977
Passcode: 193901
2. Individual Drop-ins will be offered during peak periods, for specific groups. The schedule, dates, times will be posted on our contact us page.
3. Email. If you are unable to meet with us during our Group Drop-in hours, send an email to Please note that it takes up to 2-3 business days for our team to respond to your email.
Outside of regular business hours, we encourage you to review this FAQ page,  as you may find the answer to your question.
York University’s Career Centre offers career exploration and job search support to all York University students. We strongly encourage the following:
⠀⠀⠀● To learn about the variety of supports and services available to students and new graduates (up to 2 years after graduation), visit here
⠀⠀⠀● Want to chat with someone? Drop by their Career Lounge to chat with a Peer Advisor and get advice
⠀⠀⠀● Book a Job Search Advising Appointment with a Career Professional to discuss options of finding work outside of the co-op/internship program
⠀⠀⠀● Are you having difficulty deciding on a career path? Are you unsure how your degree may relate to your future career? Do you feel challenged moving forward with your career exploration? Book a Career Counselling Appointment with a Career Counsellor