- Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Alidad Amirfazli's current research is in surface engineering and understanding droplet surface interactions to develop platform technologies for diverse areas of applications, e.g. water management in fuel cells, anti-icing systems for wind turbine/aircrafts printing technology, application of pesticides, spray cooling, addative manufacturing and related instrumentation.
His extensive international collaborations include research in Italy, Germany, Belgium and Spain. He has been the Canada Research Chair in Surface Engineering and has earned the rare distinction of having twice received NSERC’s DAS Grant. Amongst his past distinctions are appointment as a Killiam Annual Professor and the Martha Cook Piper Research Prize.
Among many activities before Lassonde, Amirfazli helped found the Energy Club, a student group engaged with the broader community to promote sustainability and energy information at the University of Alberta. At the same time he co-taught—with instructors from Law, Economics, and Science—a groundbreaking interdisciplinary energy course, that aligns closely with the Renaissance Engineering™ concept at Lassonde.
Professor Amirfazli has served at the Board of Examiners for Professional Engineering body in Alberta (APEGA), and has been a consultant to many companies (local and multinational). He has served on various funding agencies' review boards.
- M. Mohseni, A. Amirfazli, “A Novel Electro-thermal Anti-icing System for Fiber-reinforced Polymer Composite Airfoils”, Cold Regions Sci. Technol., (accepted 2012).
- C. Antonini, A. Amirfazli, M. Marengo "Drop impact and wettability: from hydrophilic to superhydrophobic surfaces”, Phys. Fluids, 24, 102104, 2012.
- M. Mohseni, M Frioult, A Amirfazli, “Simultaneous monitoring of ice accretion and thermography of an airfoil: an IR imaging methodology”, Meas. Sci. Technol., 23, 105405 (12pp), 2012.
- V. Grishaev, A. Amirfazli, S. Chikov, Y. Lyulin, O. Kabov, “Study of edge effect to stop liquid spillage for microgravity application”, J. Microgravity Sci. Technol. (Accepted 2012).
- S.Mangili, C. Antonini, M. Marengo, A. Amirfazli, “Understanding the drop impact phenomenon on soft PDMS substrates”, Soft Matter, 8, 10045-10054, 2012.
- F. Chini, A. Amirfazli, “Collapse of Patterns with Various Geometries during Drying in Photolithography: A Numerical Study”, J Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, MOEMS (JM3), 11(3), 033003, 2012.
- Chin-Chi Hsu, Elmar Bonaccurso, Alidad Amirfazli, “Splashing of Drops upon Impact onto Soft Surfaces”, 5th International Workshop on Bubbles and Drop Interfaces, B&D 2012 , Kraków, Poland, May 20-24, 2012.
- A.J.B. Milne, J.A.W. Elliott, A. Amirfazli, “Modeling Contact Angles of Surfactant Solutions on Heterogeneous and Rough Surfaces”, SIS2012, Edmonton, Canada, Jun 24-28, 2012.
- S. Madani, A. Amirfazli, “Oil drop shedding from solid substrates by shearing liquids”, 86th ACS Colloid Surface Sci. Symp., Baltimore, USA, Jun 10-13, 2012.
- C. Antonini, F. Villa, , I. Bernagozzi, A. Amirfazli, M. Marengo, “Is superhydrophobicity always needed? Case of drop impact onto a surface”, 86th ACS Colloid Surface Sci. Symp., Baltimore, USA, Jun 10-13, 2012.
- H. Chen, A. Amirfazli, T. Tang, “Modeling Liquid Transfer between Surfaces with Contact Angle Hysteresis”, 5th International Workshop on Bubbles and Drop Interfaces, B&D 2012 , Kraków, Poland, May 20-24, 2012.