Lassonde Machine Shop
The Lassonde Machine Shop specializes in general and precision metal fabrication to support Undergraduate, Graduate and Research projects. Providing real world manufacturing exposure with a hands-on approach.
Machine Shop Information
Student Shop Services
Requirements for Access
- Participate in training as required.
- Book out machines using Q-Reserve booking software.
- Only using machines trained to operate.
- Check PPE for damage prior to use.
Machine training classes are required to use the equipment. These classes will be covering the basics of machining, machine shop safety, measuring devices, manual machine operations and shop rules. Please follow the steps below.
- WHMIS 2
- Completing and passing of learning modules on E-Class (https://eclass.yorku.ca/eclass/course/view.php?id=57653)
- Register and complete Mill, Lathe, Drill press training, ETC. – in person
A $100 fee is required for graduate student training
Training sign-up can be done here (to view this link, you’ll need to be logged in to your YUOffice account)
- Booking of equipment is done through Q Reserve, machines and equipment can be booked up to 2 weeks in advance. Please check the schedule to ensure the shop is available for the time you are requesting equipment booking.
- Safety shoes and safety glasses need to be worn upon entering the Lassonde Machine Shop, 035.
- Long hair needs to be tied back/up. No jewellery or loose articles of clothing are to be worn in the shop.
- Report all health and safety incidents immediately to the Machine Shop Staff.
Job Submission Requirements
- Basic understanding of machining processes.
- A brief description of the part and features needed.
- Detailed drawings & CAD, with tolerances and features labeled.
- Defined material.
- Consult if needed.
- Submit a job request form online.
Email CAD & drawings to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shop Rate: $55/hour
Equipment & Capabilities
|D200mm X 500mm
|300mm X 450mm
|2m X 3m
|150mm X 450mm
|250mm X 800mm
|D200mm X 800mm
|Horizontal Band Saw
|Hydraulic Press 50t
|Various Other Shop Tools