- Earth & Space Science & Engineering
- Unmanned aerial and ground mobile mapping systems
- 3D mapping and modelling from optical and range data
- Remote sensing mapping
- GIS and remote sensing for disaster management
- Data fusion
Dr. Costas Armenakis (Dipl Ing, MScE, PhD) is an Associate Professor of Geomatics Engineering, Dept. of Earth & Space Science & Engineering, Lassonde School of Engineering. He joined York University in 2007, after 17 years as a research scientist with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). He has over 30 years of research experience in photogrammetry, remote sensing and GIS, working on the acquisition, handling, processing and management of geo-spatial data and information from terrestrial, aerial and space-borne sensors.
Dr. Armenakis’ research interests are in the areas of photogrammetric engineering and remote sensing mapping, including unmanned mobile sensing and mapping, robotic mapping, 3D imaging and measurements, photogrammetric processing of image-sequences, mapping from high resolution imagery, 3D modelling using optical and lidar data, indoor navigation and mapping and the integration of GIS and remote sensing methods and data for spatial risk assessment and disaster management.
He is an ISPRS Fellow and served as President of the ISPRS Technical Commission IV on Digital Mapping and GeoDatabases (2000-2004). Currently he is co-chair of the ISPRS ICWG I/Vb Unmanned Vehicle Systems (UVS): Sensors and Applications. He is a Professional Engineer registered in the Province of Ontario and a member of the Canadian Institute of Geomatics, the Canadian Remote Sensing Society and the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
- Armenakis C, N Nirupama (2014) Urban impacts of ice storms - Toronto December 2013, Natural Hazards, Springer, DOI 10.1007/s11069-014-1211-7.
- Li-Chee-Ming, J., C. Armenakis (2013) ‘Determination of UAS trajectory in a known environment from FPV video’, UAV-g (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Geomatics) Conference, International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information S
- Armenakis C., Y. Gao, G. Sohn (2013) Co-registration of aerial photogrammetric and lidar point clouds in urban environments using automatic plane correspondence, Journal of Applied Geomatics, 5(2):155-166, DOI 10.1007/s12518-013-0105-9.
- Armenakis C., N. Nirupama (2013). Prioritization of disaster risk in a community using GIS, Natural Hazards, Springer, 66(1):15-29, DOI 10.1007/s11069-012-0167-8.
- Li-Chee-Ming J., C. Armenakis (2012). Introduction to a portable stereo-mapping system for unmanned vehicles, GEOMATICA, 66(4):181-193.
- Persad R., C. Armenakis, G. Sohn (2012) ‘Integration of video images and CAD wireframes for 3D object localization, ISPRS Congress, ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and the Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. I-3.
- Li-Chee-Ming J., C. Armenakis, R. Lee (2011) ‘Mobile stereo-mapper: A portable kit for unmanned vehicles’, UAV-g (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Geomatics) Conference, International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Scien