- Civil Engineering
- Behaviour of reinforced concrete structures
- Seismic repair and retrofit of concrete structures
- Seismic applications of shape memory alloys
- Nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete
- Tsunami-induced loading of structures
- Extreme loading
Dr. Palermo is an Associate Professor of Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil Engineering. Prior to joining York University, he was a faculty member at the University of Ottawa from 2005-2013 and the University of Calgary in 2004.
Dr. Palermo is the Chair of the Engineering Mechanics and Materials Technical Division of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering. He is a member of the Canadian Seismic Research Network (CSRN), the Canadian Association for Earthquake Engineering (CAEE), the American Concrete Institute (ACI) Committee 447 Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Structures, and associate member of ACI Committee 369 Seismic Repair and Rehabilitation and the American Society of Civil Engineers Standard ASCE 7 (Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures) Tsunami Loads and Effects (TLE) Subcommittee.
In 2012, Dr. Palermo received the Tsunami Society International Award for Outstanding and Original Contributions to Tsunami Research. He was the recipient of the 2011 Faculty of Engineering (University of Ottawa) John V. Marsh Award for Excellence in Teaching. His was honoured with Outstanding Teaching by the University of Ottawa Direct Peer Review of Teaching in 2011.
- Palermo, D., Nistor, I., Al-Faesly, T., and Cornett, A., “Impact of Tsunami Forces on Structures: The University of Ottawa Experience,” Science of Tsunami Hazards: Journal of the Tsunami Society International, V. 32, No. 2, pp. 58-76, 2013.
- Abdulridha, A., Palermo, D., Foo, S., and Vecchio, F.J., “Behavior and Modeling of Superelastic Shape Memory Alloy Reinforced Concrete Beams,” Engineering Structures, Elsevier, V. 49, pp. 893-904, 2013.
- Palermo, D., Nistor, I., Saatcioglu, M., Ghobarah, A., “Impact and Damage to Structures during the February 27, 2010 Chile Tsunami,” CJCE, V. 40, pp. 750-758, 2013.
- Saatcioglu, M., Palermo, D., Ghobarah, A., Mitchell, D., Simpson, R., Adebar, P., Tremblay, R., Ventura, C., Hong, H., “Performance of Reinforced Concrete Buildings During the February 27, 2010 Maule (Chile) Earthquake,” CJCE, V. 40, pp. 693-710, 2013.
- Mitchell, D., Huffman, S., Tremblay, R., Saatcioglu, M., Palermo, D., Tinawi, R., and Lau, D., “Damage to Bridges due to the February 27, 2010 Chile Earthquake,” CJCE, V. 40, pp. 675-692, 2013.
- Cortes, L., and Palermo, D., “Modelling of RC Shear Walls Retrofitted with Steel Plates or FRP Sheets,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, V. 138, No. 5, pp. 602-612, 2012.
- Cortés-Puentes, W. L., Abdulridha, A., Majeed, M., Palermo, D., and Normand, B., “Performance of Concrete-Filled Light Gauge Steel Composite Columns: Pilot Study,” 3rd Specialty Conference on Material Engineering & Applied Mechanics, Montreal, 2013.
- Al-Faesly, T., Nistor, I., Palermo, D., and Cornett, A., “Experimental Study of Structures Subjected to Hydrodynamic and Debris Impact Forces,” 4th Specialty Conference on Coastal, Estuary and Offshore Engineering, Montreal, 2013.
- Abdulridha, A., and Palermo, D., “Performance of a Ductile Shear Wall Reinforced with Shape Memory Alloy,” fib Symposium, Tel-Aviv, Israel, 2013.
- Imbeau, P., Almansour, H., Palermo, D., “Effect of FRP Strengthening on Structural Behaviour of RC Beams Subjected to Impact Load,” 5th International Conference on Protection of Structures Against Hazards, Singapore, 2012.
- Cortes-Puentes, W.L., and Palermo, D., “Towards Design of Shear Walls Retrofitted with Shape Memory Alloys,” 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.