- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Graph Signal Processing
- 3D Imaging
- Gene Cheung received his Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering and computer science from the University of California, Berkeley in 2000.
- He was a senior researcher in Hewlett-Packard Laboratories Japan, Tokyo, from 2000 till 2009. He was an assistant, then associate professor in National Institute of Informatics in Tokyo, Japan from 2009 till 2018. He has been an adjunct associate professor in the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST) since 2015.
- He has served as associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (2007--2011), DSP Applications Column in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (2010--2014) and IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (2016--2017). He currently serves as associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (2015--present).
- He is a co-author of the best student paper award in IEEE Workshop on Streaming and Media Communications 2011 (in conjunction with ICME 2011), ICIP 2013, ICIP 2017 and IVMSP 2016, best paper runner-up award in ICME 2012, best paper finalists in ICME 2011, ICIP 2011 and ICME 2015, and IEEE Signal Processing Society (SPS) Japan best paper award 2016.
- Yuanchao Bai, Gene Cheung, Xianming Liu, Wen Gao, "Graph-Based Blind Image Deblurring from a Single Photograph," accepted to IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, October 2018.
- Xianming Liu, Gene Cheung, Xiangyang Ji, Debin Zhao, Wen Gao, "Graph-based Joint Dequantization and Contrast Enhancement of Poorly Lit JPEG Images," accepted to IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, September 2018.
- Gene Cheung, Enrico Magli, Yuichi Tanaka, Michael Ng, "Graph Spectral Image Processing," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol.106, no.6, pp.907-930, May 2018.
- Jin Zeng, Gene Cheung, Antonio Ortega, "Bipartite Approximation for Graph Wavelet Signal Decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol.65, no.20, pp.5466-5480, October 2017.
- Xianming Liu, Gene Cheung, Xiaolin Wu, Debin Zhao, "Random Walk Graph Laplacian based Smoothness Prior for Soft Decoding of JPEG Images," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol.26, no.2, pp.509-524, February 2017.
- Jiahao Pang, Gene Cheung, "Graph Laplacian Regularization for Image Denoising: Analysis in the Continuous Domain," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 26, no.4, pp.1770-1785, April 2017.
- Wei Dai, Gene Cheung, Ngai-Man Cheung, Antonio Ortega, Oscar Au, "Merge Frame Design for Video Stream Switching using Piecewise Constant Functions," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol.25, no.8, pp.3489-3504, August 2016.
- Wei Hu, Gene Cheung, Antonio Ortega, Oscar Au, "Multiresolution Graph Fourier Transform for Compression of Piecewise Smooth Images," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol.24, no.1, pp.419-433, January 2015.
- "Graph Spectral Image Compression & Restoration," invited keynote in PCSJ/IMPS 2018, Shizuoka-ken, Japan, November 2018.
- "Recent Advances in Graph Spectral Image Processing," invited keynote in Graph Signal Processing Workshop, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2018.