Update from Lassonde Student Welcome & Support Services
We are hearing that many are finding it challenging to adapt to the online environment including finding a routine, staying motivated, staying connected, and navigating the new reality of their courses. Your instructors and TAs are also navigating this new reality. We are facing similar issues as staff, but want you to know that we are here to support you and want to work together to provide the best experience we can, given the circumstances.”
There have been several announcements recently about academic accommodations for students and summer activities, that we have tried to summarize below, along with some considerations as you make decisions. These accommodations are meant to soften, where possible, the impact the COVID-19 pandemic is having on you as a student, as we want to support your continued success this semester and beyond.
Conclusion of W & Y term courses
- Drop Without Grade deadline extended until May 9, 2020
- Pass/Fail option restrictions are lifted; now all current W & Y term courses are eligible and deadline extended to May 9, 2020. The number of credits for which pass/fail is chosen for the current W & Y terms will not count towards the number of credits typically allowed to be graded on a Pass/Fail basis under the Senate Policy
- Where a course director has graded assignments that amount to 70% or more of the final grade in a course, the instructor may give students the option of receiving a final grade that is based on a re-weighting of assignments already completed, provided the instructor is satisfied that the learning objectives of the course have been achieved and that fairness to students and academic integrity are preserved. Students must have the option of completing additional assignments that follow the original grading scheme in the course, understanding that this decision may require deferred evaluations which may delay course completion
- Students will not be required to submit an Attending Physician’s Statement in support of requests for deferred standing or petitions
Considerations in Decision-Making
There are a number of personal circumstances that may affect your decision-making in consideration of a number of the above academic accommodations. These considerations may include things such as:
- Impact on financial aid or scholarships/awards
- Impact on future applications to graduate school or awards/scholarships
- Impact on academic progression – will you still meet pre-requisite/progression requirements, etc.
- Other personal circumstances
Assistance for Decision-making
If you need assistance in understanding implications of decisions you may make regarding your W or Y term courses, please reach out to our Academic Advising team. Advisors are available to assist you in many ways. You can sign up to speak to an advisor using QLess. Instructions are in my email from March 18, 2020 and are posted on the Lassonde Student Hub website.
- The final suite of offerings for the Summer session will be finalized by no later than April 17, 2020. The list of Summer session offerings is available on the York Course Search website.
- The SU and S1 terms will start one week late, on May 11, 2020. The S2 term will start on June 29, 2020. This is to allow more time for instructors to plan and prepare to deliver summer courses online/remotely
- Convocation: it will not be possible for the spring ceremonies to go forward as planned; the University is exploring options, including a virtual ceremony. we want to find a meaningful way to celebrate the academic achievements of our graduating students – stay tuned for more details to come
- There are no in-person courses; courses are to be conducted in online/remote delivery formats
- Access the latest information and updates on York’s response to COVID-19 at https://coronavirus.info.
yorku.ca/. You can also email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All communications from Senate Executive can be found here: https://secretariat.
info.yorku.ca/covid-19- information-and-decisions- pertaining-to-academic- activities/
- The latest communication from the Provost can be found here: https://yfile.news.
yorku.ca/2020/03/25/provost- issues-covid-19-update-on- summer-terms-online-learning- graduation-and-convocation/? utm_source=YFile_Email&utm_ medium=Email&utm_content=Top- Stories&utm_campaign=yfile
Mental Health Supports
- Supports can be reached by calling Student Counselling & Development’s main number 416-736-5297. Counselling support will be provided via telephone. Osgoode and FGS counsellors continue to offer counselling via video conferencing and can be reached through online booking on their websites. The Psychology Clinic is available to staff, students, and faculty and is offering services via video conferencing
- Good2Talk also continues to be available to all students 24-7 at 1-866-925-5454
Our Student Life Coordinator, Alicia, has started a BRAND NEW Facebook group to keep our community calm, stress-free & connected during these crazy times.
Join "Student Life Lassonde" on Facebook at this link: https://www.facebook.
Stay healthy & stay connected! We are in this together.