- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- computer vision
- human vision
Dr. James Elder received his PhD in Electrical Engineering from McGill University in 1996.
He is a member of the Centre for Vision Research and a Professor in the Departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Psychology at York University.
Professor Elder’s research has won a number of awards and honours, including the Premier’s Research Excellence Award and the Young Investigator Award from the Canadian Image Processing and Pattern Recognition Society.
Research Interests: Our goal is to develop novel and useful computer vision algorithms and machine vision systems through a better understanding of visual processing in biological systems.
- Adams, W.J. & Elder, J.H. (2014). Effects of specular highlights on perceived surface convexity. PLOS Computational Biology 10(5): e1003576. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003576. (Published May 8, 2014).
- Corral-Soto, E. and Elder, J.H. (2014) Automatic single-view calibration and rectification from parallel planar curves. In ECCV (IV), volume 8692 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Berlin, 813–827.
- Yakubovich, A. & Elder, J.H. (2014) Building better formlet codes for planar shape, In Computer and Robot Vision (CRV), 2014 Canadian Conference on, pages 84–91, May 2014.
- Elder, J.H. (2014). Bridging the dimensional gap: Perceptual organization of contour into two-dimensional shape. In J. Wagemans, ed., Oxford Handbook of Perceptual Organization, Oxford University Press, Oxford UK. In press.
- Elder, J.H. (2014). Edge detection. In K. Ikeuchi, ed., Computer vision: A Reference Guide, Springer US.
- Elder, J.H., Oleskiw, T.D., Yakubovich, A. & Peyré, G. (2013). On growth and formlets: Sparse multi-scale coding of planar shape. Image and Vision Computing vol. 31, 1-13. (Editor’s Choice Paper)
- Movahedi, V. & Elder, J.H. (2013) Combining local and global cues for closed contour extraction. In T. Burghardt, D. Damen, W. MAyol-Cuevas, and M. Mirmehdi, editors, Proceedings of the British Machine Vision Conference, BMVA Press.
- Elder, J.H. (2013). Perceptual organization of shape. In S. Dickinson & Z. Pizlo, ed., Shape Perception in Human and Computer Vision: An Interdisciplinary Perspective, Springer.
- T. McLeod, C. Samson, M. Labrie, K. Shehata, J. Mah, P. Lai, L. Wang, and J.H. Elder. (2013) Using video data acquired from an unmanned aerial vehicle to measure fracture orientation in an open pit mine. Geomatica vol. 67, No. 3, 173-180.
- Wagemans, J.H., Elder, J.H., Kubovy, M., Palmer, S., Peterson, M., Singh, M. & von der Heydt, R. (2012). A century of Gestalt psychology in visual perception: I. Perceptual grouping and figure-ground organization. Psych. Bull., 138 (6), 1172–1217.
- Fazl-Esri, E., Elder, J.H. & Tsotsos, J.K. (2012). Hierarchical classifiers for robust topological robot localization. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, vol. 68, no. 2, 147-163.
- Dornaika, F. & Elder, J.H. (2012) Image registration for foveated panoramic sensing. ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, vol. 8, no. 2.
- Morgenstern, Y. & Elder, J.H. (2012). Local visual energy mechanisms revealed by detection of global patterns. Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 32, no. 11, 3679-3696.
- Li, P., Fu, Y., Mohammed, U. & Elder, J.H. & Prince, S.J.D. (2012). Probabilistic models for inference about identity. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 34, no 1. 144-157.
- Frund, I. & Elder, J.H. (2014). Relating the ecological statistics of natural shapes to curvature tuning in macaque area V4, Computational and Mathematical Models in Vision – MODVIS 2014, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Elder, J.H. (2014). A generative model of local shape. Annual Interdisciplinary Conference, Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
- Elder, J.H. (2014) Generative models of shape, Symposium on Segmentation and Shape, Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision, Montreal.
- Elder, J.H. (2014) Vision for CV/AV, Connected Vehicle / Autonomous Vehicle Meeting, Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Employment & Infrastructure, Toronto.
- Muryy, A., Lugtigheid A., Adams, W., Elder, J.H. & Graf, E. (2014) SYNS dataset of natural scene measurements, Applied Vision Association Meeting, London, UK.
- Lugtigheid A., Adams, W., Elder, J.H., Graf, E. & Muryy, A. (2014) Interactions between slant and tilt perception, Applied Vision Association Meeting, London, UK.
- Goren, G. & Elder, J.H. (2014). Visual distortions induced by simple and complex shapes, Canadian Society for Brain, Behaviour and Cognitive Science Annual Meeting (Hebb student poster award runner-up).
- Frund, I. & Elder, J.H. (2014). Closure and global shape contributions to contour grouping, Vision Sciences Society Conference.