- Civil Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Intelligent Transportation System (ITS)
- Road Safety
- Railway Safety
- Transportation Security
- Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Advanced Statistical Analysis
Dr. Park is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the Lassonde School of Engineering (LSE), York University. His expertise is in transportation safety and security (highways and railways), intelligent transportation systems, transportation planning and advanced statistical analysis. Before joining LSE, he was a member of the faculty of the Department of Civil and Geological Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan (2008 to 2015). In addition to his academic experience, he has ten years of experience in national and international consulting as a traffic safety analyst, transportation engineer and planner. His most recent consulting experience includes two years with iTRANS Consulting Inc. (now HDR Inc), Richmond Hill, Ontario.
Over the last five years, Dr. Park has worked extensively with Saskatchewan Government Insurance on a number of traffic safety related projects. For example, at U of S, Dr. Park and his project team developed a Geographic Information System (GIS) based hotspot identification system for high collision locations in Regina and Saskatoon and at iTRANS Consulting he worked on a number of major safety countermeasure selection projects including the U.S. Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Countermeasure Selection Tool for “SafetyAnalyst” (www.safetyanalyst.org), the FHWA’s “Issue Briefs: Tool Box of Countermeasures and their Potential Effectiveness for Intersection and Roadway Departure Crashes” and the FHWA’s “Desktop Reference for Crash Reduction Factors.” He also created an E-learning course on “Science of Crash Reduction Factors” for the US National Highway Institute (NHI). This web-based course is designed for professionals responsible for identifying, recommending, selecting and installing appropriate traffic safety countermeasures to help reduce the number of collisions.
Dr. Park has authored or co-authored numerous papers published in top journals and various conference proceedings. He has also delivered more than 30 technical reports for various North American agencies. Most of these publications discussed and analyzed issues in transportation safety and security.
Dr. Park serves as an Editorial Board Member for highly regarded transportation safety journals including “Accident Analysis and Prevention” and “Analytic Methods in Accident Research.”
- Eguakun, G., Park, P.Y., Quaye, K., Identifying Optimal High-Risk Driver Segments for Safety Messaging: A Geodemographic Modeling Approach, Accepted for Publication, Transportation Research Record; Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2015
- Flores, M., Park, P.Y., Gardiner, A., and Nyen, J., A High-Level Traffic Safety Policy Document for a Small Municipality: City of Saskatoon Case Study, Case Studies on Transport Policy, Accepted for Publication, June 2015
- Young, J., and Park, P.Y., Hotzone Identification with GIS-Based Post-Network Screening Analysis, Journal of Transport Geography, Vol. 32, 2014, pp. 106-120
- Young, J., and Park, P.Y., Benefits of Small Municipalities using Jurisdiction-Specific Safety Performance Functions Rather Than the Highway Safety Manual's Calibrated or Uncalibrated Safety Performance Functions, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 40
- Park, P.Y., and Sahaji, R., Safety Diagnosis: Are We Doing a Good Job?, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 52, 2013, pp. 80– 90
- Park, P.Y., and Sahaji, R., Safety Network Screening for Municipalities with Incomplete Traffic Volume Data, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 50, 2013, pp. 1062– 1072
- Park, P.Y., and Young, J., Investigation of Supplementary Tool to Assist in the Prioritization of Emphasis Areas in North American Strategic Highway Safety Plans, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 45, 2012, pp. 392-405
- Park, P.Y., and Abdel-Aty, M.A., A Stochastic Catastrophe Model using Two-Fluid Model Parameters to Investigate Traffic Safety on Urban Arterials, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 43(3), 2011, pp. 1267-1278
- Lee, C. Park, P.Y., and Abdel-Aty, M.A., Lane-by-lane Analysis of Crash Occurrence Based on Driver's Lane-Changing and Car-Following Behavior, Journal of Transportation Safety & Security, 3(2), 2011, pp. 108-122
- Park, P.Y., and Lord, D., Investigating Regression-to-the-Mean in Before-and-After Speed Data Analysis, Transportation Research Record; Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2165, 2010, pp. 52-58
- Park, P.Y., Miranda-Moreno, L.F., and Saccomanno, F.F., Estimation of Speed Differentials on Rural Highways using Hierarchical Linear Regression Models, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 37(4), 2010, pp. 624-637
- Lord, D., and Park, P.Y., Investigating the Effects of the Fixed and Varying Dispersion Parameters of Poisson-Gamma Models on Empirical Bayes Estimates, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 40(4), 2008, pp. 1441-1457
- Park, P.Y., and Saccomanno, F.F., Reducing Treatment Selection Bias for Estimating Treatment Effects Using Propensity Score Method, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 133(2), 2007, pp.112-118.
- Saccomanno, F.F., Park, P.Y., and Fu, L., Estimating Countermeasure Effects for Reducing Collisions at Highway-Railway Grade Crossings, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 39(2) , 2007, pp 406-416.
- Suh, W., Park, P.Y., Park, C.H., and Chon, K.S., Relationship Between Speed, Lateral placement, and Drivers’ Eye Movement at Two-Lane Rural Highways, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 132 (8), 2006, pp. 649-653.
- Park, Y., and Saccomanno, F.F., Evaluating Speed Consistency Between Successive Elements of a Two-Lane Rural Highway, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 40(5), 2006, pp. 375-385.
- Park, Y., Saccomanno, F.F., Collision Frequency Analysis Using Tree-Based Stratification, Transportation Research Record; Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1908, 2005, pp 121-129.
- Park, Y., and Saccomanno, F.F., Evaluating Factors Affecting Safety at Highway-Railway Grade Crossings, Transportation Research Record; Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1918, 2005, pp. 1-9.
- Park, Y., and Saccomanno, F.F., A Structured Model for Evaluating Countermeasures at Highway-Railway Grade Crossings, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 32(4), 2005, pp. 627-635.
- Park, Y., Park, C.H., and Chon, K.S., Development of Potential Measures to Evaluate the Safety of Curves in Rural Highway, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 7(3), 2003, pp. 233-242.
- Park, Y., Kum, K.J., Kim, H.S., and Kim, G.S., The Effect of a Drivers Eye Movements on His Driving Behavior, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 6(4), 2002, pp. 407-412.
- Kim, H.-S., Kum, K.J., Kim, M.S., and Park, Y., An Analysis on Driver's Visual Behaviour at the Curve Sections of a National Road for Enhancing Traffic Safety, Journal of Transportation Research Society of Korea, 20(3), 2002, pp.7-16.
- Park, Y., Suh, W.H., and Park, C.H., Developing a Speed Change Model of Vehicles in Highway Curve Sections, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 22 (1-D), 2002, pp.45-57.
- Jeong, J.H., Park, Y., and Park, C.H., A Design Method of Horizontal Curve Based on Speeds, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 20 (5-D), 2000, pp. 537-547.