- Civil Engineering
- Unsaturated flow and transport
- Unsaturated soil mechanics
- Effect of Climate Change on Geotechnical Design
- Mine Waste Management & Soil Cover Design
- Contaminant Hydrogeology
- Mining Hydrogeology
- Soil structure interaction
Dr. Rashid Bashir is an Associate Professor of geotechnical/geoenvironmental engineering in Lassonde School of Engineering at York University in Toronto. He earned his PhD in Civil Engineering from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, with specialization in contaminant hydrogeology and computational mechanics. Dr. Bashir has more than 14 years of experience in areas of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Mine and Contaminant Hydrogeology and Computational Mechanics.
Before joining York University, Dr. Bashir worked as a senior geotechnical engineer with Golder Associates in their Saskatoon office. He was a member of Golder's Unsaturated Soils Group. Dr. Bashir was mostly involved in numerical aspects of unsaturated flow and transport. He designed a number of soil covers around the world for tailings management facilities and landfills. He was also involved in performance evaluation of soil covers and has designed a number of soil cover test plots for performance monitoring. He has also served as an external reviewer for the shaft pilot holes studies in Northern Saskatchewan. Dr. Bashir was also the task leader and one of the lead authors for the initial screening reports for two sites in Northern Saskatchewan, as part of site selection for Canada’s Deep Geological Repository for Used Nuclear Fuel.
Before joining Golder, Dr. Bashir worked as Corporate Mine Hydrogeologist for Cameco Corporation in Saskatoon, SK. Apart from providing hydrogeology support to operations in Northern Saskatchewan, he was also engaged in dewatering of Cameco's flooded Cigar Lake Mine. He implemented depressurization at two of Cameco's operating mines in northern Saskatchewan. Dr. Bashir provided hydrogeology support to Cameco's corporate development group for potential acquisitions around the globe. He has also testified in front of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission as a subject matter expert. Dr. Bashir has considerable project management experience and has managed large and complex mining projects. He is also a qualified Safety, Health, Environment and Quality auditor and a TapRooT® investigator.
- Bashir, Rashid and James Hatley. Inflows in uranium mines of northern Saskatchewan, risks and mitigation. CIM (Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum) Journal. 4(2) (2013), 95-108.
- Hatley, F. J. and R. Bashir. Shaft sinking experience in Athabasca Basin and geoscientific investigations for future shafts. Geomechanics and Tunnelling, 4(5) (2011), 454-463.
- Bashir, R., J. E. Smith and D.E. Stolle. The effect of ionic strength of soil water on surfactant induced unsaturated flow. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 48(4) (2011), 644-654
- Smith, J.E., E.J. Henry and R. Bashir. Solute-dependent Capillarity Induced Focused Flow During Infiltration into Alcohol Contaminated Soil. Vadose Zone Journal, 10(1) (2010), 403-411
- Bashir, R., J. Smith, D. Stolle and Eric Henry. On the importance of hysteresis in numerical modelling of surfactant-induced unsaturated flow. Soil Sediment Contamination: An International Journal, 18(3) (2009), 264-283
- Bashir, R., J.E. Smith and D.E. Stolle. Surfactant induced unsaturated flow: Instrumented horizontal flow experiment hysteretic modelling. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 76(6) (2008), 1510-1519.
- Bashir, R., D.E. Stolle and J.E. Smith. A flux-based alternative formulation for variably saturated subsurface flow. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, 12(5) (2007), 210-222.
- Al-Shayea, N., S. Abduljauwad, R. Bashir, H. Al-Ghamedy and I. Asi. Determination of parameters for hyperbolic model of soil. Geotechnical Engineering Journal, 156 (2003), 105-117
- Bashir, R. and Hatley J. 2012. Dewatering of a flooded underground uranium mine in Northern Saskatchewan, Canada. International Mine Water Association (IMWA) Annual Conference, October. Bunbury, Australia
- Bashir, R., J. J. Stone and D. G. Fredlund. 2011. Effect of Ambient Temperature on the Calibration of Thermal Conductivity Suction Sensors. the 64th Canadian Geotechnical Conference , October. Toronto, Canada
- Bashir, R. and F.J. Hatley. 2010. Inflows in Uranium Mines of Northern Saskatchewan: Risks and Mitigation. In 3rd International Conference on Uranium, 40th Annual Hydrometallurgy Meeting, August. Saskatoon, Canada.
- Bashir, R., S. Imran and F.J. Hatley. 2010. A Reliability Based Design Procedure for Mine Dewatering Systems. In 3rd International Conference on Uranium, 40th Annual Hydrometallurgy Meeting, August. Saskatoon, Canada.
- Houmao, L., R. Bashir, F.J. Axen, F.J. Hatley and M.G. Murdock. 2010. Quantifying the effect of localized depressurization on a deep underground orebody at the McArthur River Mine through cross hole hydraulic testing and ground water modelling.. In 3rd In
- Robson, D., R. Bashir, J. Thomson, S. Klemmer and A. Holme. 2010. Underground mining of the lower 163 and 163 deep zone through groundwater drainage at the eagle point mine. In 3rd International Conference on Uranium, 40th Annual Hydrometallurgy Meeting,
- Beattie, D. and R. Bashir, and J. Hatley. 2008. Impact of geotechnical and hydrogeological parameters upon shaft sinking performance in the Athabasca Basin. In IMWA 2008, 10th International Mine Water Association Congress: Mine Water and the Environment.
- Liu, H., R. Bashir and J. Hatley. 2008. Depressurizing of deep underground workings at McArthur River Mine. In Uranium, Mining and Hydrogeology. Springer Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Liu, H., J. Hatley, R. Bashir and L. Atkinson. 2008. Depressurizing a deep underground orebody at the McArthur River Mine. In IMWA 2008, 10th International Mine Water Association Congress: Mine Water and the Environment. Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
- Bashir, R., J.E. Smith and D.E. Stolle. 2007. Scaling of hysteretic soil water characteristic curves wetted with a surface active solute. In 60th Canadian Geotechnical Conference/8th join CGS/AIH-CNC. Ottawa, Canada.
- Smith, J.E., E.J. Henry and R. Bashir. 2006. Focused flow during infiltration into surfactant-contaminated porous media. Fll Meeting, American Geophysical Union. San Francisco, United States of America
- Bashir, R., D.E. Stolle and J.E. Smith. 2004. An alternative formulation for unsaturated flow. In 57th Canadian Geotechnical Conference/5th join CGS/AIH-CNC. Quebec City, Canada.