- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Nanostructured materials & devices
- Nanoscale carbons
- Magnetism and magnetic materials
- Magnetic recording
- Heat transport
- Pump-probe techniques
Dr. Simone Pisana received his B.A.Sc. in Engineering Science and M.A.Sc. (Hons) in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto in 2002 and 2004, respectively. He then continued his graduate studies at the University of Cambridge, where he received his PhD in Engineering in 2008.
His graduate studies focused on electronic properties of amorphous semiconductors and novel nanostructured materials such as carbon nanotubes, semiconducting nanowires, and graphene. In 2008, he joined Hitachi Global Storage Technologies as a Postdoctoral Researcher and continued on to become Research Staff Member in 2010 and Senior Research Manager in 2014. While in the industry, he worked on nanoscale magnetic field sensing devices and energy-assisted magnetic recording technologies.
Dr. Pisana joined the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in the Lassonde School of Engineering at York University in 2014 as Associate Professor. His research is aimed at exploring transport phenomena in nanoscale devices and materials for energy efficient nanoelectronic device engineering. He is member of the IEEE Magnetics Society and the Materials Research Society. He has authored 37 refereed journal articles with over 2,700 citations and 12 U.S. patents and applications.
He received the University of Toronto Fellowship in 2002-2004, the Young Scientist Award at the European Materials Research Society 2007 Spring Meeting and participated as Outstanding Young Scientist at the 57th Meeting of Nobel Laureates in Lindau, Germany.
List of publications at Google Scholar.
- M. Cantoro, S. Hofmann, S. Pisana, V. Scardaci, A. Parvez, C. Ducati, A.C. Ferrari, A.M. Blackburn, K.-Y. Wang, J. Robertson, "Catalytic chemical vapor deposition of single-wall carbon nanotubes at low temperatures", Nano Letters 6(6), 1107 (2006)
- M. Cantoro, S. Hofmann, S. Pisana, C. Ducati, A. Parvez, et al., "Effects of pre-treatment and plasma enhancement on chemical vapor deposition of carbon nanotubes from ultra-thin catalyst films", Diamond and Related Materials 15(4), 1029 (2006)
- S. Pisana, M. Lazzeri, C. Casiraghi, K.S. Novoselov, A.K. Geim, A.C. Ferrari, F. Mauri, "Breakdown of the adiabatic Born–Oppenheimer approximation in graphene", Nature Materials 6(3), 198 (2007)
- S. Pisana, M. Cantoro, A. Parvez, S. Hofmann, A.C. Ferrari, J. Robertson, "The role of precursor gases on the surface restructuring of catalyst films during carbon nanotube growth", Physica E 37(1), 1 (2007)
- A. Colli, S. Pisana, A. Fasoli, J. Robertson, A.C. Ferrari, "Electronic transport in ambipolar silicon nanowires", Physica Status Solidi (b) 244(11), 4161 (2007)
- C. Casiraghi, S. Pisana, K.S. Novoselov, A.K. Geim, A.C. Ferrari, "Raman fingerprint of charged impurities in graphene", Applied Physics Letters 91, 233108 (2007)
- A. Das, S. Pisana, B. Chakraborty, S. Piscanec, S.K. Saha, U.V. Waghmare, K.S. Novoselov, H.R. Krishnamurthy et al., "Monitoring dopants by Raman scattering in an electrochemically top-gated graphene transistor", Nature Nanotechnology 3(4), 210 (2008)
- A. Colli, A. Fasoli, S. Pisana, Y. Fu, P. Beecher, W.I. Milne, A.C. Ferrari, "Nanowire lithography on silicon", Nano Letters 8(5), 1358 (2008)
- A. Colli, A. Fasoli, C. Ronning, S. Pisana, S. Piscanec, A.C. Ferrari, "Ion beam doping of silicon nanowires", Nano Letters 8(8), 2188 (2008)
- S. Pisana, C. Zhang, C. Ducati, S. Hofmann, J. Robertson, "Enhanced subthreshold slopes in large diameter single wall carbon nanotube field effect transistors", IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology 7(4), 458 (2008)
- A. Das, B. Chakraborty, S. Piscanec, S. Pisana, A.K. Sood, A.C. Ferrari, "Phonon renormalization in doped bilayer graphene", Physical Review B 79(15), 155417 (2009)
- S. Pisana, P.M. Braganca, E.E. Marinero, B.A. Gurney, "Tunable nanoscale graphene magnetometers", Nano Letters 10(1), 341 (2009)
- C. Boone, J.A. Katine, E.E. Marinero, S. Pisana, B.D. Terris, "Microwave-Assisted Magnetic Reversal in Perpendicular Media", IEEE Magnetics Letters 3, 3500104 (2012)
- O. Mosendz, S. Pisana, J.W. Reiner, B.C. Stipe, D. Weller, "Ultra-high coercivity small-grain FePt media for thermally assisted recording", Journal of Applied Physics 111(7), 07B729 (2012)
- D. Weller, O. Mosendz, G.J. Parker, S. Pisana, T.S. Santos, "L10 FePtX–Y media for heat‐assisted magnetic recording", Physica Status Solidi (a) 210(7), 1245 (2013)
- J. Mendil, P. Nieves, O. Chubykalo-Fesenko, J. Walowski, T.S. Santos, S. Pisana, M. Münzenberg, "Resolving the role of femtosecond heated electrons in ultrafast spin dynamics", Scientific Reports 4, 3980 (2014)
- S. Pisana, S. Jain, J.W. Reiner, G.J. Parker, C.C. Poon, O. Hellwig, B.C. Stipe, "Measurement of the Curie temperature distribution in FePt granular magnetic media", Applied Physics Letters 104(16), 162407 (2014)