HOW ARE WE DIFFERENT?
The School is creating a different kind of learning experience built on four founding principles:
- RENAISSANCE ENGINEERS: Engineering + Educating students to become graduates able to grapple with complex global issues.
- ACTIVE LEARNING $115 million home with zero lecture halls Lassonde is flipping the classroom so that students can learn in creative spaces, watch lectures online anywhere, anytime and come to class to solve problems together.
- EQUITY, DIVERSITY + INCLUSIVITY Achieving balance A commitment to fostering a community that is diverse, equal and inclusive – just like the city we call home. Our goal is to be a thought leader in this area within STEM fields firmly rooting diversity, equity and inclusivity in the academic sphere.
- COLLABORATORIUM Building a connected network We are building a global network of curriculum and diversity experts and industry partnerships, enabling our community to impact globally through work-integrated learning programs and transdisciplinary research. Our goal is to make the connection between our research, education and initiatives and how our efforts impact the broader community
WHAT IS A RENAISSANCE ENGINEER?
At Lassonde we incorporate the concept of Renaissance Engineering into our learning experience for students through co-operative education and industry partnerships, entrepreneurship and leadership opportunities and global learning.
The nature of the engineering profession is changing and will continue to change. We need to educate engineers to keep up with the demand and to evolve with rapidly changing industries.
The Lassonde School of Engineering’s five strategic research priorities aim to revolutionize disciplines and transform society through new ideas, creativity, innovations and technologies.
The five research priorities are:
- Environment and Climate Change
- Space Exploration
- Infrastructure Development, Resilience, and Sustainability
- Intelligent and Interactive Systems
Our work: $14M average annual external research funding, 250 active research grants, 600 annual publications with 42% in top 10% of journals over five years
Our people: 13 research chairs, 6 Royal Society of Canada Fellows, 6 Engineering Institute of Canada Fellows, 3 Canadian Academy of Engineering Fellows, 3 Early Researcher Awards
Co-op + Internship
Stay local or go global, Lassonde students can choose co-op experiences in three flavours: Classical, Entrepreneurial or International, with over 400 employer partners.
The Lassonde Co-op/Internship program offers employers an opportunity to hire 2nd & 3rd year students for paid, full-time co-op/internship positions for durations of 4, 8, 12, or 16 months.
We’ve teamed up with Shopify to bring Computer Science BSc students a blended study + work learning experience. Perks include: salary, tuition coverage, 4500+ hours of work experience, paid vacation.