What is required advising?
All Lassonde students are required, by their program, to participate in a required advising session at least once per year. During these small group or webinar events, an Academic Advisor will provide important updates to degree requirements and University and Faculty policies and procedures.
Students will not be able to enrol in Fall/Winter 2018/2019 courses if they do not participate in their required advising session.
Be sure to complete your session BEFORE your Fall/Winter 2018/2019 enrolment window opens to avoid any delays enrolling in courses.
Required advising sessions usually run for 1 hour and cannot be completed in a drop-in session or via an academic advising appointment.
Remediation due to Labour Disruption
Effective April 2018, all 1st and 2nd year students will complete their required advising online via recorded webinar. In-person required advising sessions will resume next year.
3rd and 4th year students will continue to complete their required advising sessions online via recorded webinar.
What is a webinar?
A webinar is an online presentation. While most of our advising webinars are live and interactive, your required advising webinars are pre-recorded.
How is completion of the webinar / attendance tracked?
- Students completing required advising via webinar will login with their Passport York, progress through their webinar in its entirety, and then complete an online feedback form upon completion of their webinar.
- Students who already completed their required advising in-person should have signed a hardcopy attendance sheet to be considered present. Please note, students who arrived more than 10 minutes late (or left early) would not be recorded as “attended” and would still be required to complete a required advising session in full.
Completion of your required advising session in full ensures you do not miss important information.
How do I complete the webinar?
To access your webinar, complete the following steps:
- Using your Passport York, login here.
- Select "enrol me" to enrol yourself into the online "Required Advising" course.
- Once you're enrolled in the course, select the webinar corresponding to your CURRENT Fall/Winter 2017-2018 program and year-level. There are 6 different webinars:
- Year 1 BEng Students
- Year 1 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students
- Year 2 BEng Students
- Year 2 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students
- Year 3 and 4 BEng Students
- Year 3 and 4 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students
You can complete the webinar on your own, from anywhere. You just need a strong network connection and speakers. Upon completion of the webinar, you’ll be required to submit an Advising Feedback Form, which will be used to track attendance.
The link to your feedback form (i.e., Year 1, Year 2, or Upper Year) will be available at the conclusion of your webinar.
If you have questions about the material covered, connect with an Academic Advisor.
Is there a deadline to complete the webinar?
Complete your webinar and feedback form now!
Fall/Winter 2018-2019 enrolment windows usually open in June. Complete your webinar and feedback form by May to ensure sufficient time for your enrolment block to be removed.
Click here for helpful links and additional information from our FW1718 required advising sessions.
Questions? Ask an advisor!