What is required advising?
All Lassonde students are required, by their program, to participate in a required advising session at least once per year. During these sessions, an Academic Advisor will provide important updates to degree requirements and University and Faculty policies and procedures.
Students will NOT be able to enrol in Fall/Winter 2019/2020 courses if they do not participate in their required advising session and complete the corresponding online feedback form.
Be sure to complete your session BEFORE your Fall/Winter 2019/2020 enrolment window opens to avoid any delays enrolling in courses.
Required advising sessions usually run for 1 hour and are separate from drop-in advising sessions or via academic advising appointments.
First Year Students
- In the Fall term, advisors will visit core first year Lassonde program courses to deliver an advising presentation complete with important information students should know during their first year.
- In the Winter term, first year students will be required to register for and attend a smaller in-person group advising session. These sessions will be available for booking beginning January 2019.
Second Year Students
In the Winter term, second year students will be required to register for and attend an in-person group advising session. These sessions will be available for booking beginning January 2019.
Upper Year Students
Third- and fourth-year students will continue to complete their required advising sessions online via a pre-recorded webinar presentation. Required advising webinars will be available for download in the Winter term.
How is attendance / completion of the webinar tracked?
- First and second year students will sign an attendance sheet upon arrival at their in-person required advising session. Students who arrive more than 10 minutes late (or leave early) will not be recorded as “attended” and will need to register for another session.
- Upper year students will complete an online feedback form upon completion of their webinar.
Completion of your required advising session in full ensures you do not miss important information.
Is there a deadline to complete required advising?
Fall/Winter 2019/2020 enrolment windows will open in June. Complete your required advising by May to ensure sufficient time for your enrolment block to be removed by June. Note, First and Second year student in person enrolment sessions will be held from January through March 2019.
If you need a refresher on your Fall/Winter 2017/2018 required advising session, our webinar recordings are still available for download. Simply select the webinar corresponding to your Fall/Winter 2017-2018 program and year-level. For example, if you were a first year BA or BSc student in Fall/Winter 2017/2018, watch the “Year 1 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students” webinar.
- FW1718 Year 1 BEng Students
- FW1718 Year 1 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students
- FW1718 Year 2 BEng Students
- FW1718 Year 2 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students
- FW1718 Year 3 and 4 BEng Students
- FW1718 Year 3 and 4 BA/iBA/BSc/iBSc Students
Click here for helpful links and additional information from our FW1718 required advising sessions.
Questions? Ask an advisor!