What is Required Advising?
All Lassonde students are required, by their program, to participate in a Required Advising session at least once per year. The purpose of Required Advising is to keep you informed of your degree requirements and important updates to your curriculum, and University and Faculty policies and procedures. We also want to help you understand what is expected of you as a student and how we can help you create clear and attainable goals. Required Advising also helps students and Academic Advisors connect with one another.
You are eligible to enrol into Fall/Winter 2020-2021 courses when you satisfy ALL the below criteria:
- You are in good academic standing (e.g., no program exit blocks).
- You are in good financial standing (i.e., no tuition fees owing for a prior session).
- Your enrolment window has opened.
- You have completed Required Advising by the published deadline.
Satisfying all the above criteria BEFORE May 29, 2020 ensures you will be able to access the Registration and Enrolment Module (REM) when enrolment windows begin opening in June. If you don’t complete the criteria above by May 29, 2020, you may experience delays in enrolling in courses.
What is the time commitment?
Required Advising will take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to complete depending on your year-level. Required Advising is separate from drop-in advising sessions, academic advising appointments, or pop-up advising events.
Enrolment Block Removal
- Block removal is not automatic and requires an Academic Advisor to remove your block. On a regular basis leading up to May 29, 2020, we will be removing students blocks who have successfully completed Required Advising.
1st Year Students/Students in their 1st year in a Lassonde program
In the Fall term, Academic Advisors visited your core first year Lassonde courses to deliver an advising presentation complete with important information students should know during their first year. If you missed your presentation or want a refresher, online webinar recordings are available below:
- BA, iBA, BSc, iBSc students, click here for your webinar. The transcript for the video can be found here.
In the Winter term, first-year students will be required to register for and attend a small in-person group Developmental Advising workshop. These workshops are facilitated by members of the Lassonde Academic Advising team and consist of a series of individual and group activities. Your Required Advising will be satisfied upon successful completion of all workshop. You can register for your workshop by enrolling into the online Lassonde Academic Advising Classroom.
What to bring: During the session, a series of online activities will be completed. As such, all students are required to bring a mobile device. A laptop is ideal and strongly recommended, but a tablet or cell phone may also suffice. Please ensure your mobile device is fully charged.
Workshops will run from February 18, 2020 to May 28, 2020.
2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Year Students/Students in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th year in a Lassonde program
In the Winter term, all 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year students will complete their Required Advising online via a pre-recorded degree-specific webinar presentation. Additionally, students will be responsible for completing the Upper Year Assessment and Feedback Form and must score 80% or higher. Students can access their webinar and complete the Upper Year Assessment and Feedback Form by enrolling into the online Lassonde Academic Advising Classroom.
Webinars and the Upper Year Assessment and Feedback Form will be available beginning March 2, 2020.
If you are graduating June 2020 or October 2020, you do not need to complete Required Advising, although you may still find the webinar information helpful.
How is completion of Required Advising tracked?
- First-year students will sign an attendance sheet upon arrival at their in-person Developmental Advising workshop and will complete a series of activities during the workshop. Students who arrive more than 15 minutes late (or leave early) will not be recorded as “attended” and will need to register for another session.
- All 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th year student requirements will be tracked and verified via the online Lassonde Academic Advising Classroom.
Completion of your required advising session in full ensures you do not miss important information and you do not experience delays enrolling in Fall/Winter 2020-2021 courses.
What is the deadline to complete Required Advising?
May 29, 2020 is the deadline to complete required advising. Fall/Winter 2020-2021 enrolment windows begin opening in June. Completing Required Advising BEFORE May 29, 2020 ensures you will be able to access the Registration and Enrolment Module (REM) when enrolment windows begin opening in June if you are in good academic and financial standing.
Questions? Ask an advisor!
Content Updated: February 13, 2020.