Solve challenges on an international scale
Are you passionate about using the power of engineering to help solve challenges on an international scale? With this program, you will learn how you can help international communities improve water sanitation and create sustainable cities.
Explore our five-year BEng + BA dual-degree in Engineering & International Development Studies (E&IDS). You will also have the option to add a development internship to strengthen your international resume.
• Help future engineers better understand the complexities associated with global project management
• Enhance your understanding of sustainable development
• Help you integrate social, environmental, public policy and economic perspectives into engineering challenges
• Develop a critical understanding of states, markets, cultures, communities and ecologies embedded in global contexts
• Acquire critical skills to understand the way in which knowledge about development issues is produced
What You’ll Learn
Students can choose from the following engineering areas of specialization, which have been developed to reflect a modern view of engineering and teach essential skills with the aim of developing a new generation of entrepreneurial engineers with a social conscience.
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Space Engineering
Some Courses You’ll Take
- Foundation as well as specialized Engineering courses
- Intro to International Development Studies
- Development in Comparative & Historical Perspective
- Development Studies Research Methods
Additional areas of concentration
- Diaspora and Migration
- Political Economy
- Politics Governance and Policy
International Internship Program
Students in the E&IDS program are encouraged to consider a not-for-credit developmental-related internship position in the summer after third year to gain experience in a practical context. York International will provide logistical and financial support for all students in the program. Internships will be arranged in a wide variety of government and non-government organizations in Canada and abroad.