Explore Your Passion. Find out more about Computer Engineering at Lassonde.
About the Program
Learning about Computer Science is arguably one of the most important routes to understanding and participating in the world of the future.
Our Computer Science program will equip you with both foundational knowledge and applied skills, using a blend of hardware and software courses including extensive lab work. You will learn the methodologies that lead to efficient and accurate software development, and you can choose from a wide range of application areas, including machine learning, robotics, graphics, user interface design and data mining.
Lassonde has teamed up with a variety of companies to help you gain valuable professional experience. There is also an Industry Partnership/Dev Degree option, in which some of your academic courses involve learning on the job as you work at Shopify throughout the 4-year program.
The BSc, BA, iBSc, iBA and International Dual Degree all allow you to explore learning beyond computer science. In the BA, you can complement your studies with courses from the Liberal Arts such as humanities, social sciences, history, philosophy and more – fields that help you understand human social and creative endeavours and the potential impact of computing. In the BSc, complementary courses will be in the sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics). You can also formalize such studies through a degree minor or double major.
Our International degrees give you the opportunity to learn computer science from a global perspective. Pick up a new language and study abroad as part of the iBA or iBSc degree. In the Dual Degree, you’ll spend a year studying in Germany and Greece.
Changing the world for the better, perhaps through artificial intelligence, data science, and other new fields of the future, requires more than a purely technical point of view. An awareness of impacts on the world and on our lives is a fundamental outcome of our programs.
Skills You’ll Gain
- Advanced knowledge of C and Java – used for projects involving robotics, 3D graphics, software applications and app development
- MATLAB modelling software for signals, systems and digital communications processing
- Models and algorithms for data mining and machine learning
- Verilog circuit-modelling language, MIPS assembly language for embedded systems and FPGA circuit programming
- Software design models including design pattern and development
- Various networking tools including Wireshark
- Other languages including C++, Eiffel, Unix Shell, SQL/mySQL database, and PHP
Some of our Co-op Employers
- The Regional Municipality of York
- Ontario Ministry of Education
- Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
'16 Computer Science
My Life at Lassonde
The possibilities and diverse applications of computer science and women in STEM
My Lassonde Journey:
• Student Advisor for incoming Lassonde students
• PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) leader – Computer Science and Math courses
• Coding Instructor/Coach, Hatch Canada
Life Beyond Lassonde:
• Software Developer, The Jonah Group
• The field of computer science continuously re-invents itself, so my learning journey continues
Enhance your Computer Science experience
Take it to the next level
Work a minimum of 12 months up to a maximum of 20 months while on co-op.
Obtain a degree in computer science in only 4 years with 4500+ hours of work experience, 4000+ hours of academic experience, and $160,000 paid in salary, tuition, and vacation time
Through entrepreneurial, academic and experiential achievements during your time at Lassonde, you can earn the BEST Certificate.