Bachelor of Engineering (BEng), Accredited by CEAB – Fall and Winter Entry Available
Explore Your Passion. Find out more about Computer Engineering at Lassonde.
About the Program
Computer engineering forms the basis of the modern world. Self-driving cars, robotics, mobile devices, e-commerce, wireless communications, the Internet of Things and other advances are all built by Computer Engineers.
We start by teaching the core concepts in computer hardware and software that you will use to design and implement solutions to the ever-increasing range of engineering challenges.
As a Computer Engineering student, you will gain deep knowledge about hardware and software design, as well be uniquely qualified to work on computer systems. You will take courses in computation, system design and other specialized areas, including robotics and virtual reality. This theoretical knowledge is balanced with hands-on experience. Lassonde Computer Engineering students have access to our state-of-the-art facilities – Digital Systems Lab and Robotics Lab.
Skills You’ll Gain
- A strong programming foundation including Object Oriented Programming/Object-Oriented Design, assembly language, multi-threading, design patterns and unit testing
- Advanced knowledge of C and Java – used for projects involving robotics, networking, device drivers, 3D graphics and mobile app development
- Rapid prototyping of electronic and mechatronic systems
- Embedded systems and digital logic design including sensor interfacing & actuation of electromechanical devices
- Digital signal processing using MATLAB modelling software
- Verilog circuit-modelling language for FPGA circuit programming
- Design-to-application of digital communication interfaces and networks
- Unix system programming, shell scripting, shared memory, and other O/S specifics
Some of our Co-op Employers
- Evertz Micro Systems
'19 Computer Engineering
My Life at Lassonde
Science, experimenting and building new things, playing basketball
My Lassonde Journey:
• Working with peers, mentors, professional engineers to build solutions for people
• Co-op at Uber in Denver and in Palo Alto
• Co-Chair, IEEE YorkU chapter
Life Beyond Lassonde:
• Software Development Engineer, Amazon Canada
• Learning how to leverage information from all my courses and co-op experiences in the real world
• Work on problems that affect people, and build solutions that work on a global scale
Enhance your Computer Engineering experience
Available for all of our Engineering programs
Work a minimum of 12 months up to a maximum of 20 months while on co-op. You can earn up to 1 year of qualified experience towards your PEng.
Add a BA in International Development Studies with our Dual Degree. Available for all of our Engineering programs
Through entrepreneurial, academic and experiential achievements during your time at Lassonde, you can earn the BEST Certificate.
Sample First-Year Schedules
ENGINEERING – YEAR ONE COMMON CORE – FALL TERM
|Applied Calculus||Renaissance Engineering I||Engineering Mechanics|
|Applied Calculus||Applied Linear Algebra||Renaissance Engineering I||Applied Calculus|
|Applied Linear Algebra||Renaissance Engineering I||Engineering Mechanics||Applied Linear Algebra|
|Engineering Mechanics||Engineering Mechanics|
|Computational Thinking Through Mechatronics||Computational Thinking Through Mechatronics||Computational Thinking Through Mechatronics|
|Computational Thinking Through Mechatronics||Engineering Mechanics|
ENGINEERING – YEAR ONE COMMON CORE – WINTER TERM
|Materials Science for Engineers||Renaissance Engineering II||Electricity, Magnetism & Optics|
|Applied Calculus II||Renaissance Engineering II||Applied Calculus II||Renaissance Engineering II||Applied Calculus II|
|Object Oriented Programming||Object Oriented Programming||Materials Science for Engineers||Object Oriented Programming|
|Electricity, Magnetism and Optics||Materials Science for Engineers||Electricity, Magnetism & Optics||Electricity, Magnetism & Optics|
|Discrete Mathematics OR The Earth Environment||Discrete Mathematics OR The Earth Environment||Discrete Mathematics OR The Earth Environment|
|The Earth Environment||Object Oriented Programming||Materials Science for Engineers||Electricity, Magnetism & Optics|