Phone Number: 416-736-2100 x55221
Dr. Costas Armenakis (Dipl Ing, MScE, PhD) is Professor of Geomatics Engineering, Dept. of Earth & Space Science & Engineering, Lassonde School of Engineering. He joined York University in 2007, after 17 years as a research scientist with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). He has over 40 years of research experience in photogrammetry, remote sensing and GIS, working on the acquisition, handling, processing and management of geo-spatial data and information from terrestrial, aerial and space-borne sensors.
He is an ISPRS Fellow and served as President of the ISPRS Technical Commission IV on Digital Mapping and GeoDatabases (2000-2004). Currently, he is co-chair of the ISPRS ICWG I/Vb Unmanned Vehicle Systems (UVS): Sensors and Applications. He is a Professional Engineer registered in the Province of Ontario and a member of the Canadian Institute of Geomatics, the Canadian Remote Sensing Society and the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
He is a Review Editor in Unmanned Aerial Systems (UASs and UAVs) (Frontiers in Remote Sensing), an Associate Editor of Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems and GEOMATICA. He’s a member of the Editorial Board, Drones Journal. He’s a Guest editor of Special Issue of the Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems on UAV for Geomatics and Guest co-editor of Special Issue, Drones Journal on UAS orientation and navigation.
GeoICT – Mobile Sensing and Mapping
Locations: Petrie 312, Petrie 429
Work is on the use of unmanned aerial mapping systems for geomatics research and applications. It involves sensor position and orientation; mapping from optical and range data; use of AI methods for tree species classification, change detection from high resolution imagery, trajectory determination and image segmentation; collaborative approaches between mobile mapping platforms; algorithm development and implementation
- Photogrammetric engineering and remote sensing mapping
- Unmanned aerial mapping systems for geomatics
- Robotic mapping
- Algorithmic aspects for rapid processing of UAS data
- Data co-registration
- Image sequence for mapping and scene analysis
- Spatial awareness and intelligence
- Risk assessment and disaster management
- Bousias-Alexakis E, C Armenakis (2021). Performance Improvement of Encoder/Decoder-Based CNN Architectures for Change Detection from Very High-Resolution Satellite Imagery, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, https://doi.org/10.1080/07038992.2021.1922880.
- Natesan S, C. Armenakis, U Vepakomma (2020). Individual Tree Species Identification using Dense Convolutional Network (DenseNet) on multi-temporal RGB images from UAV, Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems, 8(4):310-333, https://doi.org/10.1139/juvs-2020-0014.
- Bousias-Alexakis E, C Armenakis (2020). Evaluation of UNet and UNet++ architectures in high resolution image change detection applications, Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLIII-B3-2020, 1507–1514, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B3-2020-1507-2020.
- Armenakis C, P Patias, Editors (2019). Unmanned Vehicle Systems for Geomatics: Towards Robotic Mapping, Whittles Publishing, 288p.
- Natesan S, C Armenakis, G Benari, R Lee (2018). Use of UAV-borne spectrometer for land cover classification, J. Drones, Special Issue on Latest Developments, Methodologies and Applications Based on UAV Platforms, 2(16), doi:10.3390/drones2020016.
- Li-Chee-Ming J, C. Armenakis (2018). UAV navigation system using line-based sensor pose estimation, J. Geo-spatial Information Science, 21:1, 2-11, doi:10.1080/10095020.2017.1420506.
- Persad RA, C Armenakis (2017). Automatic co-registration of 3D multi-sensor point clouds, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 130:162-186.
- Armenakis C, E Du, S Natesan, R A Persad, Y Zhang (2017). Flood risk assessment in urban areas based on spatial analytics and social factors, J. Geosciences, Special Issue on Integrated Risk Analysis and Management of Floods, 7(4), 123, doi:10.3390/geosciences7040123.
- Li-Chee-Ming J, C Armenakis (2014). Feasibility study for pose estimation of small UAS in known 3D environment using geometric hashing, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 80(12):1117-1128.
- Armenakis C, N. Nirupama (2014) Flood risk mapping for the city of Toronto, Procedia Economics and Finance, 18:320-326, Elsevier, dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(14)00946-0