Kamelia Atefi is an Assistant Professor in the Lassonde School of Engineering at York University. She completed her Masters, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral studies in Civil Engineering at the University of Waterloo. Prior to joining York University in Aug 2020, she was an Assistant Professor in the Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering Department at the University at Buffalo, NY, since 2016. K. Atefi is a registered professional engineer in Ontario. K. Atefi has over twelve years of research experience in constitutive, analytical, and numerical modeling in computational geomechanics. Her research contributes to development of resilient and sustainable energy production/storage technologies, and design for climate change through a fundamental understanding of coupled geomechanical processes (hydraulic-mechanical-thermal-dynamics). Her current research involves: enhancement of hydrocarbon, geothermal, and aquifer storage recovery operations; prediction of geo-environmental impacts of deep production/injection operations; tunneling in extreme geological settings; geomechanics of glacier basal motion; and bio-mediated soil improvement.
- Coupled Thermal-Hydraulic-Mechanical-Chemical (THMC) processes in porous formations
- Mechanical wave propagation in soil and rock
- Geo-Environmental impacts of production and injection operations in geological reservoirs
- Enhancement of hydrocarbon, geothermal, and aquifer storage recovery (ASR) operations
- Geomechanics of tunneling
- Geomechanics of glacier basal motion
- Bio-mediated soil improvement
- Zhai X., and Atefi-Monfared K. (2020). Local thermal non-equilibrium effects on thermal pressurization in saturated porous media considering thermo-osmosis and thermal-filtration. Computers and Geotechnics, 126, 103729.
- Zhai X., and Atefi-Monfared, K. (2020). Explanation of early failure in porous media confined with flexible layers, considering thermo-osmosis, thermal-filtration and heat sink from fluid dilation. Computers and Geotechnics, 122, 103501.
- Zhai X., and Atefi-Monfared, K. (2020). Thermo-poroelasticity under constant fluid flux and localized heat source. International Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, 150, 119278.
- Zhai X., and Atefi-Monfared, K. (2020). Non-isothermal injection-induced geomechanics in a porous layer confined with flexible sealing rocks. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. 126, 104173.
- Atefi-Monfared K., and Rybicki J. (2018). Production versus injection induced poroelasticity surrounding wells. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 162: 102-113.
- Atefi-Monfared K., and Rothenburg L. (2017). Poroelasticity during fluid injection in confined geological reservoirs: incorporating effects of seal-rock stiffness. SPE Journal. 22(1): 184 – 197.
- Atefi-Monfared K., and Rothenburg L. (2016). Poro-elasto-plastic response of an unconsolidated formation confined with stiff seal rocks under radial injection. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics. 40(13): 1799 – 18
- Atefi-Monfared K., and Rothenburg L. (2015). Poroelastic stress modifications surrounding a fully-penetrating injection well. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 135: 660 – 670.
- Atefi-Monfared K., and Rothenburg L. (2011). Reconstruction of reservoir deformations using surface displacements and tilt monitoring. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences. 48(7): 1113 – 1122.