Professor, Interim Deputy Provost Markham, P.Eng
Professor Dan Palermo is the Interim Deputy Provost Markham and a Professor of Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil Engineering. Prior to joining York University, he was a faculty member at the University of Ottawa from 2005-2013 and the University of Calgary in 2004.
Dr. Palermo serves as an Associate Editor for the Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering (CJCE). His research interests include seismic repair and retrofit of concrete structures, seismic applications of shape memory alloys, innovative masonry wall structures, characterization of UHP-FRC and ECC, nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete structures, and tsunami-induced loading of structures.
In 2018, Dr. Palermo received the York University President’s University-Wide Teaching Award and the distinction of Fellow from the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering.
As Interim Deputy Provost Markham, Dr. Palermo provides academic and administrative leadership for Markham Campus.
- Behaviour of reinforced concrete structures
- Seismic repair and retrofit of concrete structures
- Seismic applications of shape memory alloys
- Innovative masonry wall structures
- Characterization of Ultra-High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete and Engineered Cementitious Composites
- Nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete structures
- Tsunami-induced loading of structures
- Soto-Rojas, M., Ferche, A. C., and Palermo, D., “Behaviour of Shape Memory Alloy-and Steel-Reinforced Shear Walls Repaired with Engineered Cementitious Composite,” ACI Structural Journal, V. 120, No. 4, pp. 207-222, 2023. doi: 10.14359/51738745
- Sparling, A., and Palermo, D., “Response of Full-Scale Slender Masonry Walls with Conventional and NSM Steel Reinforcement Subjected to Axial and Out-of-Plane Loads,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, V. 149, No. 1, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1061/JSENDH/STENG-11364.
- Rafi, M. M., Lodi, S. H., Al-Sadoon, Z., Saatcioglu, M., and Palermo. D., “Experimental Investigation of Dynamic Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Frame Strengthened with Buckling Restrained Bracing,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, V. 148, No. 7, July 2022. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0003371
- Saikali, R. E., Pantazopoulou, S. J. and Palermo. D., “Local Bond-Slip Behavior of Reinforcing Bars in High-Performance Steel Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Beams,” ACI Structural Journal, V. 119, No. 2, pp. 139-153, March 2022. doi:10.14359/51734334
- Maciel, M., Palermo, D. and Cortés-Puentes, W.L., “Modelling of Mid-Rise Concrete Shear Walls Reinforced with Superelastic Shape Memory Alloys: Nonlinear Analysis,” Engineering Structures, V. 247, pp. November 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2021.113049.
- Yang, Y., Ismail, M., Pantazopoulou, S.J., and Palermo, D., “Tensile Behaviour of Ultra-High-Performance Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering (CJCE), V. 48, No. 11, pp. 1409-1421, November 2021.
- Yang, Y., Massicotte, B., Genikomsou, A., Pantazopoulou, S.J., Palermo, D., “Comparative Investigation on Tensile Behaviour of UHPFRC,” Materials and Structures, V. 54, No. 4, Article 147, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-021-01747-1
- Sparling, A., Palermo, D., and Hashemian, F., “Out-of-Plane Flexural Testing of Concrete Masonry Walls with NSM Steel Reinforcement,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering (CJCE), V. 48, No. 7, pp. 748-762, July 2021.
- Rafi, M. M., Lodi, S. H., Al-Sadoon, Z., Saatcioglu, M., and Palermo. D., “Dynamic Testing of Deficient Reinforced Concrete Frame Strengthened with Buckling Restrained Bracing,” ACI Structural Journal, V. 118, No. 3, May 2021.
- Cortés-Puentes, W. L., and Palermo, D., “Modelling of Concrete Shear Walls Retrofitted with SMA Tension Braces,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, V. 24, No. 4, pp. 555–578, 2020.
- Al-Sadoon, Z., Saatcioglu, M., and Palermo, D., “New Buckling Restrained Brace for Seismically Deficient Reinforced Concrete Frames,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, V. 146, No. 6, 2020.