Professor, Inaugural Department Chair (2013-2018), P.Eng
Professor Jitendrapal (Jit) Sharma is the Inaugural Department Chair of Civil Engineering. He arrived at Lassonde School of Engineering with a wealth of engineering experience from around the world, having held academic appointments in India, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. From 2001 till his appointment as Department Chair of Civil Engineering, Dr. Sharma was a Professor of Geotechnical Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan where he taught soil mechanics, foundation engineering and geotechnical modelling at undergraduate and graduate levels, was a lead investigator on several geotechnical engineering and inter-disciplinary research projects and worked closely with the local industry as a specialist geotechnical engineering consultant.
Dr. Sharma is a licensed professional engineer in the provinces of Saskatchewan and Ontario. He also holds Permission to Consult in Geotechnical Engineering in the province of Saskatchewan. He has been an Associate Editor of Canadian Geotechnical Journal – one of the top three geotechnical engineering journals in the world – from 2006 to 2018.
Dr. Sharma is well known for his passion for engineering education and has won several awards for teaching excellence. He is particularly interested in the use of web-based technologies to develop and deliver out-of-classroom learning tools so that classroom time can be devoted to engaging the students in group-based problem-solving and discussions. His vision for revolutionizing the in-classroom experience of students exemplifies the Lassonde approach to learning.
- Theoretical and computational geomechanics
- Geotechnical centrifuge modelling
- Critical state soil mechanics
- Constitutive and numerical modelling in geotechnics
- Soil-structure Interaction
- Ground improvement techniques
- Unsaturated soil mechanics
- Bashir, R., Sahi, M.A.N., Sharma, J. (2021). Using Synthetic Climate Datasets for Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Design Problems. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. DOI: 10.1139/cgj-2021-0408.
- Najma, A. and Sharma, J. (2021). Analytical evaluation of the effect of failure mechanisms on the bearing capacity factor Nγ for smooth strip footings. Geomechanics and Geoengineering, DOI: 10.1080/17486025.2021.1975049.
- Najma, A. and Sharma, J. (2021). Incremental load transfer analysis of an energy pile under arbitrary mechanical and thermal loads. Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment. DOI: 10.1016/j.gete.2021.100243.
- Szalwinski, C.M., Najma, A. and Sharma, J. (2020). Pore pressure coefficient B for saturated geomaterials with compressible, isotropic and uniform solid and fluid phases. Acta Geotechnica, 15: 2013-2115. DOI: 10.1007/s11440-020-00946-4.
- Szalwinski, C.M., Najma, A. and Sharma, J. (2020). A parametric theory of isotropic consolidation for saturated geomaterials with compressible phases. Computers and Geotechnics. DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2019.103371.