Assistant Professor, Canada Research Chair (Tier 2)
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Pirathayini Srikantha is Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Lassonde School of Engineering. Professor Srikantha holds a Tier 2 CRC in Reliable and Secure Power Grid Systems for research that has important national security implications for Canada’s critical power grid infrastructure. Dr. Srikantha will build on her foundational contributions to smart distribution systems by using the latest breakthroughs in artificial intelligence and transactive technologies. To enhance reliability in the increasingly volatile and vulnerable electricity grid, her research will address two specific challenges: giving devices that are controlled by the electric power utility the ability to automatically infer, predict and respond to power disturbances, and secondly, designing trustworthy energy markets that incentivize power producers and consumers to provide grid support during congestion or fault conditions.
Dr. Pirathayini Srikantha received her B.A.Sc. degree in Systems Design Engineering from the University of Waterloo in 2009 and her M.A.Sc. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the same institute in 2013. She obtained her Ph.D. degree from The Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Toronto in 2017. She is a certified Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Ontario. She is currently serving as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. Her main research interests are in the areas of game theory, large-scale optimization and distributed control for enabling adaptive, sustainable and resilient power grid operations. Her work has been published in premier smart grid journal and conference venues. Her research efforts have received recognitions that include the best paper award (IEEE Smart Grid Communications) and runner-up best poster award (ACM Women in Computing).
- Cyber-security in Smart Grid
- Distributed Coordination
- J. Wang* and P. Srikantha, "Stealthy Black-box Attacks on Smart Meter Based Deep Learning Models", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2021. (Accepted)
- S. El Kababji* and P. Srikantha, "A Data-Driven Approach for Generating Synthetic Load Patterns and Usage Habits", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2020. (Accepted)
- M. Mallick* and P. Srikantha, “Optimal Decentralized Microgrid Coordination via the Schur’s Complement and S-Procedure”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 379-390, 2019.
- P. Srikantha and M. Mallick*, "Hidden Convexities in Decentralized Coordination for the Distribution Networks", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 4470-4483, 2020.
- P. Srikantha, J. Liu* and J. Samarabandu, “A Novel Distributed and Stealthy Attack on Active Distribution Networks and a Mitigation Strategy”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 823-831, 2019.
- J. Liu* and P. Srikantha, “Decentralized Topology Reconfiguration in Multiphase Distribution Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 598-610, 2019.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “Intelligent Signal Processing and Coordination for the Adaptive Smart Grid”, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine Feature Article, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 82-102, 2018.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “Hierarchical Signal Processing for Tractable Power Flow Management in Electric Grid Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 86-99, 2018.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “Real-Time Integration of Intermittent Generation with Voltage Rise Considerations”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 938-952, 2017.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “A Game Theoretic Approach to Real-Time Robust Distributed Generation Dispatch”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1006-1016, 2017.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “Resilient Distributed Real-Time Demand Response via Population Games”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 2532-2543, 2016.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “A DER Attack-Mitigation Differential Game for Smart Grid Security Analysis”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1476-1485, 2016.
- P. Srikantha and D. Kundur, “Distributed Optimization of Dispatch in Sustainable Generation Systems via Dual Decomposition”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Special Issue on Cyber-Security, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 2501-2509, 2015.