Want to address some of the world’s biggest challenges while working in teams and learning how to create a business venture?
The Lassonde School of Engineering BEST Lab at York University is running a virtual Startup Experience event from March 5-7. During the event, students will come together and work in teams to come up with solutions to challenges centred around the UN Sustainable Development Goals and then develop a business case and pitch their idea to a panel of judges.
This immersive experiential learning program will encourage students to tackle real-world issues including some of the York University Sustainability Challenges:
- How might we improve waste management and recycling on campus?
- How can we reduce the level of organic waste we hold off-site?
- How may we reduce single-use food containers on campus?
- How might we reduce the impact of smoking affecting non-smokers on campus?
- How can we reduce paper waste associated with posters on campus?
All students who take part in the event will follow a structured design sprint methodology framework. They will also receive mentorship and advice, learn what it takes to start a company, discover future career paths and address real-world challenges that have a big impact on society.
The winning teams will win cash prizes along with a membership to Lassonde’s BEST Lab where they will receive coaching and support to continue working on their projects.
Application deadline is March 3, 2021. To learn more about the BEST Startup Experience, please visit the BEST Lab website.