Dr. Jinjun Shan is an internationally recognized expert in the areas of dynamics, control and navigation. He joined York University as an Assistant Professor of Space Engineering in 2006 and was promoted to Full Professor in 2016. Prior to his appointment in York, he was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies (UTIAS) in 2003-2006 and a Research Assistant at the Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management (MEEM), City University of Hong Kong, in 2002-2003. He received his B.Eng., M.Eng., and Ph.D. degrees all from Harbin Institute of Technology, China, in 1997, 1999, and 2002, respectively. Dr. Shan has made outstanding contributions to several national and international space missions including the NEOSSat.
He has attracted over $5 million in research funding from various governmental agencies and industry partners. His research progress is demonstrated through over 190 peer-reviewed journal and conference publications and 2 issued patents. Dr. Shan’s accomplishments in research and engineering education have seen him recognized with prestigious recognitions such as the Fellow of Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC), the Fellow of American Astronautical Society (AAS), the Associate Fellow of AIAA, Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, JSPS Fellowship, York Research Leader Awards, and Excellent in Teaching Award. He serves the profession as the Associate Editor for several field-leading journals including IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, and the Journal of Franklin Institute, as well as numerous conference chairs. He is the founding director of Spacecraft Dynamics Control and Navigation Laboratory (SDCNLab) at York University. He has served as the Department Chair since January 2018.
- Marc Savoie, Jinjun Shan. Temperature-dependent Asymmetric Prandtl-Ishlinskii Hysteresis Model for Piezoelectric Actuators. Smart Materials and Structures, 2022, 31(5): 055022. https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/ac6552
- Shuo Zhang, Jinjun Shan. Variational Bayesian Estimator for Mobile Robot Localization with Unknown Noise Covariance. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, in press, March 2022. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2022.3161591
- Huarong Zhao, Jinjun Shan, Li Peng, Hongnian Yu. Data-based Event-triggered Bipartite Consensus for MASs with DoS Attacks Prevention. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, in press, March 2022.
- Mingfeng Yuan, Jinjun Shan, Kevin Mi. Deep Reinforcement Learning Based Game-Theoretic Decision-Making for Autonomous Vehicles. IEEE Robotics & Automation Letters, 2022, 7(2): 818-825. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2021.3134249.
- Adeel Akhtar, Sajid Saleem, Jinjun Shan. Path Invariant Controllers for a Quadrotor with cable-suspended payload using a Global Parameterization. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, in press, 21-0165, November 2021.
- Shiyuan Jia, Jinjun Shan. Velocity-free trajectory tracking and active vibration control of flexible space manipulator, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics Systems, in press, July 2021. 10.1109/TAES.2021.3103239.
- Ti Chen, Jinjun Shan, Hugh Hong-Tao Liu. Cooperative Transportation of a Flexible Payload Using Two Quadrotors. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 2021, 44(11): 2099-2107. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G005914.
- Hassan Alkomy, Jinjun Shan. Vibration reduction of a quadrotor with a cable-suspended payload using polynomial trajectories. Nonlinear Dynamics, 2021, 104: 3713-3735. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-021-06464-6.
- Shiyuan Jia, Jinjun Shan. Flexible Structure Vibration Control Using Double-Gimbal Variable-Speed Control Moment Gyros. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 2021, 44(5): 954-966.
- Zhi Li, Jinjun Shan and Ulrich Gabbert. A Direct Inverse Model for Hysteresis Compensation. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2021, 68(5): 4173-4181.
- Ti Chen, Jinjun Shan. Koopman-operator-based Attitude Dynamics and Control on SO(3). Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 2020, 43(11): 2112-2126.
- Yuying Liang, Jinjun Shan, Ming Xu and Shijie Xu. Capturing an Asteroid via Triangular Libration Points. Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 2020, 43(6): 1099-1113.
- Ti Chen, Jinjun Shan. Distributed tracking of a class of under-actuated Lagrangian systems with uncertain parameters and actuator faults. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2020, 67(5): 4244-4253.
- Zhi Li, Jinjun Shan, Ulrich Gabbert. Dynamics Modeling and Synchronized Model Predictive Control for a Fabry-Perot Spectrometer. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2019, 24(4): 1818-1828
Recent Presentations Title
- Adaptive Game-Theoretic Decision Making for Autonomous Driving Vehicles, 18th International Conference on Electrical Engineering, Computing Science and Automatic Control (CCE), Mexico City, Mexico, November 10-12, 2021. (Keynote Speaker)
- Our Future in Space is Now, Executive Summit Series, Canadian Chamber of Commerce, September 15, 2021. (Panellist)
- Payload Transportation using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), The 2nd International Forum on Frontiers of Automation and Artificial Intelligence (FAAI 2020), Shenyang, China, October 22-23, 2020. (Keynote Speaker)
- Lassonde Professor Jinjun Shan elected as a Fellow of the AAS
- SDCNLab Autonomous System YouTube Promotion Video
- 2 Minutes, 3 Questions with Professors Michael Jenkin and Jinjun Shan
- Grants awarded under the FAST 2019 Announcement of Opportunity
- Two cutting-edge projects on AI-and-human interaction awarded major grants
- Professor opens new lab facility for autonomous systems research
- Up and away: York U spectrometer flies high (part two)
- Up and away: York professor’s stratospheric balloon takes flight
Awards and Honors
- Fellow of American Astronautical Society (AAS).
- Fellow of Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC).
- Associate Fellow, AIAA.
- Senior Member, IEEE.
- Named in Stanford’s list of the world’s top 2% of all researchers using 6 standardized citation metrics via Scopus.
- Great Contribution Award, Journal of Astrodynamics.
- Cosber Best Paper in Automation Award, 2018 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation.
- Invitation Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researcher, Germany.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Faculty of Science and Engineering, York University.
- York Research Leader, York University.
- Dr. Shuo Zhang, PDF (2021-)
- Marc Savoie, Ph.D. Candidate (2016-)
- Hassan Alkomy, Ph.D. Candidate (2018-)
- Mingfeng Yuan, Ph.D. Candidate (2019-)
- Yibo Liu, Ph.D. Candidate (2020-)
- Hao Wang, Ph.D. Candidate (2021-)
- Hunter Schofield, M.Sc. Candidate (2020-)
- Ingredy Carmo, M.Sc. Candidate (2022-)